Drilling hole in sink

I have fitted a sink but now realise there is no hole for the plug chain to attach to, it's designed to have a plug that you push in the middle to release, but I would prefer a normal plug. Is there a reliable way to drill a small hole in it without breaking it?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

assuming it is china you could carefully drill it with a tile drill, but equally you could just use a plug with a finger grip or glue on a chain retainer, or loop the chain round a tap.

Reply to
mrcheerful

A china sink? I think he means a stainless steel kitchen sink. China is used for bathroom basins :-p

Reply to
Phil L

Sorry it is a china bathroom basin, there isn't really anywhere to put a stick on retainer that would look neat, a tile drill sounds like what I need.

Reply to
Tom

In message , Tom writes

What material is the sink made of?

Reply to
chris French

How do you work that out from the OP question, apart from assuming a sink = kitchen and a basin = toilet/bathroom

Which is VERY difficult to drill even with tile drills etc BTDTWTTS. The OP states that "it's designed to have a plug that you push in the middle to release", I have never seen these in a kitchen (Stainless Steel) sink but in many a toilet BASIN!!

To the OP, I think you are going to struggle on this one, I once drilled a toilet cistern and it took ages and was a b*****d to do, but I managed it (eventually)

HTH

John

Reply to
John

The message from Tom contains these words:

D'yer know, it'd help if we knew whether it's ceramic, steel, glass, plastic, Corian.....

Reply to
Guy King

In message , John writes

I'd use a masonry drill - non-hammer rather than tile drill.

We have a pop up waste on one of the bowls in out enamelled steel kichen sink

Yep, i'd stick with he pop up waste

Reply to
chris French

Sounds too risky if it is china. It will eventually crack I fear. Learn to like an alternative.

Reply to
John

Attach it to the wall or unit and save a load of hassle :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Tom writes

Have you contacted the manufactures to see why they didn't provide one, or what they "intended" you to do with it?......

Reply to
tony sayer

Could you come by a grille for the overflow? You could attach the plug to it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , tony sayer writes

err doesn't the 'designed to be used with a pop up waste' answer that question?

Reply to
chris French

  1. Put the chain around a tap, or
  2. Train people to not hide the plug or to throw it away.

I've had loose plugs for 15 years and not lost any.

Reply to
Nick

Tom typed

Ummm... wouldn't it be simpler to attach your plug chain to a suction cup???

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Nick typed

Buy a spare plug if you're paranoid. It won't break the bank...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Helen Deborah Vecht saying something like:

Or use a big ball bearing. Endless hours of fun playing basin roulette, in more ways than one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon