drilling granite worktop

I'm moving to a new house soon which has a shiny black granite worktop. I like the nice chlorine-free water which comes from one of those filtered drinking water taps. Any suggestions as to the best way to drill the required mounting hole in the granite worktop? Required diameter is about

20mm.

I reckon a diamond core drill at a fairly low speed is the safest option.

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

Granite's not that difficult to drill. You main problem is chipping on the face, if you start banging away at it with an impact drill. Much will depend on the tap fitting and the size of the collar around it.

A core drill should do it easily. You could also do it with a skinny (5mm) SDS and chain drill in a ring. Then a bit of diagonal drilling to break the central core out.

A carbide "tile file" will tidy up any rough edges.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Put some plasticine around the area, about 6" diameter, to form a dam and put in some coolant or cutting fluid. we used to cut granite surface tables and this usually helped to lubricate the bit and keep it cool. WM

Reply to
wattie

To avoid drilling the hole, do without the filtered water - simply fill a jug with water from the cold tap, and let it stand (and chill) in the fridge for an hour. The chlorine smell dissipates completely and the water then tastes as good as filtered. I live in London and even my fussy wife has no complaints about the water after I've done this.

Reply to
sean.hodges

In article , snipped-for-privacy@petro-canada.com writes

That's just cos your taste buds don't work as well on cold substances.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I do a similar thing. I let the water sit in a glass, but at room temp. and it tastes great once the chemicals have evaporated. By the way, I live in Lancashire, so no chalk in the water here.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Quite possibly, but if it works, where's the problem? I installed a filtered water tap in our new kitchen, but after a while we stopped using it. We found it was simpler and easier to keep a jug of ordinary tap water in the fridge.

Perhaps the OP would like to buy a used hole? One careful owner, never been raced. It's stainless steel, not granite, but I think it's the right size.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No problem at all, unless you are worried about chemicals/impurities in the water. Personally I can't tell the difference between filtered and non-filtered tap water, or indeed between tap water and bottled "spring" water.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

My parents (Ormskirk, West Lancashire) have pretty good water quality. However they live only a few hundred yards from the pumping station and they had trouble with sand carry-over from the filter beds. So they fitted water filters, and went a little crazy for the things. They now have four filters; particulate and charcoal, and both a pair for the whole system and a separate pair for an additional drinking water tap.

Despite them already having good taint-free water (unlike the chlorinated piss I get here in Bristol) I can _taste_ the difference between three taps: unfiltered, filtered, and double filterered.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , Andy Dingley writes

I think I'm just a luddite when it comes to water

My parents live in Bradford where the water is luvverly, and I now live in Hull where the water is very hard. The only difference I can notice when drinking it is that hot drinks like tea get a scum on the top.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

You are. I was a student in Hull and can still remember the horrible chewy water.

Reply to
Andy Dingley