Drilling concrete

To think of it, if a normal hammer drill bit was used in a chuck to sds adapter and slotted into a sds chuck, it may be more effective than a normal hammer drill using a jagged cam rubbing against each other.

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

I have a bosch like that. I tried opening it and somehow didnt managed to pull apart the casing. I removed the clip holding the bearings but still could access the motor. thanks for your post.

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

And me. SDS just means you don't need a key to change the bit or blade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[toolstation]

Ah, not quite what I'm after, I'd want chisel mode, but I can't justify a high price for what I do these days.

Reply to
<me9

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

But but but - I thought SDS stood for "Slotted Drive Shaft". Hardly fair of Bosch to nick it for something else!

Reply to
Guy King

for GST135BCE

After clicking through to the page it mentions SDS in the second paragraph.

"Highest possible convenience with the Bosch "SDS ", the world's easiest way to change saw blades - using only one hand"

So SDS is basically bugger all to do with hammer action drills :) Someone else, AEG? developed it so the Bosch interpretation might not be spot on though.

Clicking on the SDS icon towards the bottom of the page clicked through to above reveals this gem:

==

Bosch SDS System

Fast tool insertion and removal, without the need for additional tools.

Bosch SDS-DI toolholder

For easy changes of diamond core cutters without keys.

SDS-Plus toolholder

Optimum power transfer and good guidance with auto-locking system. For Rotary Hammers in the 2kg to 4kg class.

SDS-top toolholder

Sturdy toolholder especially designed for SDS-top tools with the 14 mm diameter shaft. For Rotary Hammers in the 4kg class.

SDS-max toolholder

Optimum power transfer and good guidance with auto-locking system. For Rotary Hammers and Demolition Hammers from the 5kg class onwards. ==

Reply to
Matt

I have a Makita SDS jigsaw...

(the clue to its use is in the "jigsaw" bit of the name and not the "sds" bit thought ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice cutaway drawing of one here:

uses a "swash plate" type bearing to convert the rotation of the motor shaft into an oscilating motion. The piston (part 31) is the bit that strikes the drill bit, and it looks like it just floats in the cylinder (part 32) being pushed forward by air pressure.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from contains these words:

The vanilla SDS drill from Screwfix/B&Q etc has drill/hammer/hammer+drill which sounds like what you want.

Reply to
Guy King

That's a new one. Most say Special Drill System.

For some reason I've locked this post on the subject - so here it is:-

From: Paul Scott Subject: Re: What is "SBS"? Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:45 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

From the Google uk.d-i-y archive.

=============

...because Adam is talking out of his arse as usual. Intrigued by the lack of explanation for SDS in the patent and trademark literature, I asked Bosch themselves, and got the following prompt response:

"SDS originally stood for the german Steck - Dreh- Sitzt (insert - twist - stay)and simply refers to the patented Bosch "keyless chuck" system, whereby drill bits (and saw blades in jigsaws) can be replaced without the need for an allen key. Today SDS stands for Special Direct System or in german Spannung Durch System."

So there you have it. Nothing to do with "Splined Drill Shank", "Scruttocky Dumpling Stuffer", "Squalid Dimbelby Sock", or any other wild imaginings from Adam. And since the "what does SDS stand for?" question has been kicking around for so long in uk.d-i-y, can we have this added to the FAQ under "Other Really Dull Stuff".

And if I really am in Adam's killfile, he's never going to know what SDS stands for. Bwahahahahhahahaha!

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SDS stands for the initial letters of some German words meaning Insert Twist Lock or something similar. T'was invented by Bosch in Germany so it wouldn't stand for English words. It could and does apply to any quick release, no tools required bit or blade change system.

The point is that without the SDS chuck/bit system allowing the bit to move back & forth whilst still turning, the pnumatic hammer action wouldn't work.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you read my post - just before your one, and sent on Wednesday - you'll get the true answer...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)