Drill guide.

Anyone know where i can get one of these drill guides for making the correctly aligned holes for fitting socket back boxes?

TIA.

Reply to
RmS

Screwfix

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you're doing more than a couple it's worth getting an SDS socket sinker - very fast and neat.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've often looked at those sinkers and wondered if they work in the old "over-fired" type of common bricks as often found in pre-war houses in the internal leaf.

Do they?

Pilgarlick

Reply to
Pilgarlick

Wickes, B&Q Warehouse.

Reply to
david lang

Not IMHO. They leave a mess with nothing left to fasten the backbox to the wall with.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do you mean a pencil? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
RmS

Yes! They 'do': incredible amount of dust though

- I've started to do the following;- offer up back box to wall and pencil around it: define the corners with 5mm bit- to appropriate depth; drill some more holes in the interior of the pencilled area - mainly to define the depth required; Use an wide SDS chisel to 'connect up the dots of the corners; excavate the interior area with a SDS chisel(s) and a SDS channel chopper / behind skirting boards tool(s).

Obviously the amount of material removed is the same; but as it comes out in bigger lumps it subjectively seems 'less'.

One finishes up with a nice smooth right angled recess ready for the back-box. IF you use the box-sinker; you'll still need to chase the channel to accommodate the cable(s). So this isn't really using many more 'bits' - The wide chisels are a luxury I treated myself to. I sort of 'see' myself - offering up the back-box and fingering the recess and saying; "I'll just take another mil of that bit there !" Oh, why couldn't one get SDS drills, bits and chisels in days of yore?

My house was built in 1935 seemingly using the hardest materials available to the builder !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I've only used mine in modern houses and it's the dog's wotsits, on hard bricks I guess it's back to stitch drilling and an SDS chisel - it might be possible to use the sinker to get a flat bottom.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The SDS chisels with 4-5 TCT teeth are pretty good for this. They tend to nibble the brick away with a reasonable amount of control, rather than splitting the brick like a wedge chisel often does.

Reply to
Ian White