Drill Driver 'Bursts'

Did you have Lithotripsy?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Isn't that the treatment of kidney stones? In which case no!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Of course. That's always been the way of doing it.

What I was thinking about was any interaction between the screw and wood long term caused by an inappropriate lubricant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Some soap can be quite corrosive over time.

Reply to
Guy King

I suspect something like vaseline is probably best. Or some water-based lubricant perhaps. Does screwfix do KY? :) You really don't want to use things that'll feed bacteria/mould/... either I suppose.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have used PVA on screws befeore, when I want to ensure a really strong joint. Lubricates and locks the screw in place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dingdongs. What a bodger. Change your name imnmediately.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

And how is that a bodge pray tell? The joint is stronger.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't expect any science from dribble unless he reads it from the back of a packet.

It does interest me, though. I recently refurbished a kitchen which was old and had some long term intermittent water damage to parts. And the original galvanised screws going into chipboard had no threads to speak of left. So which combination of screw material, lubricant, etc into materials *is* of interest to me.

I know with the old Rover V-8 which has lots of bolts going direct into the aluminium that Scotch Guard not only locks those bolts but prevents corrosion even after 40 odd years.

So the reaction between different screws and timbers - and any lubricants used - over long term is interesting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The joint is not stronger. The screw is glued in. I can't think of any situation where you'd need to do this, unless you're starting from the position of soing something wrong. If you *can* tell me where it's a good idea to do this, and reasons for it, I'll be all ears.

I am CPB, not "Dribble".

Would it have helped if the screws had been PVA's in, hmm?

Water damage, you say. How is a frightful bodge, such as PVAing a screw in, going to help here?

Scotchguard into aluminium is not mild steel screws into timber (or even chipboard). I thought that Scotchguard was for carpets. Isn't one of the Loctite products better for steel into aluminium, or even grease, or J166?

You think that PVA is a good idea for this?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The joint is stronger. I read the idea years ago in a DIY manual. How could it be anything but stronger? How could PVA glue actually make a joint weaker?

BTW I'm not perfect, but I rarely 'so' anything wrong.

How did I guess you were really Chris P Bacon?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

PVA is not suitable for metal as it only forms a casing around the screw,not a bonding action. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Richard Cranium is confused. He is a Cheggers fan you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're not telling me anything. You "read it in a DIY manual". And? How do you carry out this frightful bodge? Why do you think it helps, unless you're starting from the position of doing something wrong?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You seem to be obsessed with dear old Keith. Did he reject your advances at the clinic?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not as much as you Richard. Are you No. 1 in the fan club? Yes, senile people do this sort of thing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

According to the workshop manual the recommended product is "Thread Lubricant-Sealant 3M EC776". I have a can bought for the purpose which is "Scotchclad - 776 fuel resistant coating and adhesive" which I presume is the same stuff.

Reply to
Roger

Absolutely right Roger. Sorry for the brain fart. But it's still brilliant stuff. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And its not something I would have made up is it?

Answer the question "why is it a frightful bodge?" How could the practice weaken a joint?

What evidence do you have that I must be "starting from the position of doing something wrong?"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because it should never be necessary, does not help at all, and makes dismantling difficult.

Now, you answer the question "Why does it make the joint stronger", which you seem to think is true.

I dodn't say it would weaken a joint, did I? It won't make it stronger.

Because it's un unneccessary frightful bodge. If you think you need to do this, then you must be doing something wrong, because you don't.

Say that you've got two planed 2x1 battens, 1' long. Describe how you would screw them together, wide faces together, using two woodscrews, and any tools or accessories you think fit.

Reply to
Chris Bacon