Drill chuck problem

The chuck on my Makita is buggered: one of the three gripping "teeth" (I don't know the technical name) seems to have become disengaged from the twisting mechanism which grips the bit. The "tooth" at fault is sticking up high (actually out of the chuck mouth, when the other two are securely down in the chuck).

Is there a way to "have a look" at these things and fix them? I notice that there is some kind of circlip around the mouth of the chuck: I'm minded to remove that and take things from there, but have come here for opinions first.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Bob H

If the drill can be reversed, there is likely a locking screw too. Look by opening up the chuck fully. And they're often LH thread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)