Drill bit cases

Hi

I've got one of those cases that a set of 1000 junk bits came in, and have replaced them with better stuff, but the box itself is woefully unsatisfactory. And seriously butt ugly.

Is there some kind of case that is configurable? My collection of stuff is going to change over time, it would really be helpful to have one case that can hold all the drill tools. HSS bits, masonry bits, flat bits, augers, lip n spur, steep angle twist bits, hex bits, nut drivers, holesaws, etc etc etc. Is there anything like this about? Can one be made? If I know how, I can make it.

I really want something compact and carryable, and fully reconfigurable so I can waste as much time as possible rearranging things.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

How about one of those cases used for photo eqipment with the foam inserts that you cut to your own requirements .? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Yes, it crossed my mind. Dont know how one would cut 200 slots in the foam, its not reconfigurable, I bet all the bits would fall out since foam offers little grip, and they tend to be bulky, unless there are some thin ones Ive not seen.

Not that I can think of anything better though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How about a piece of timber, you use the bit to drill its own hole. Elaborate as necessary.

Reply to
Steve

Crikey, Nige - I for one have never had the need to keep all my bits in one basket - are you sure it's a good idea?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

For holding the bits, a long strip (or parallel strips) of Velcro(tm) stuck down to the case. Lay bits across strip(s). Roll down a longer strip(s) 'sticking' it to the bottom strip between each bit and you have self-formed and adjustable pockets for each bit.

Otherwise a 'tool roll' sewn out of strong canvas, the bits may be loose in the pockets but a fairly flexible system

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 20 Sep 2005 10:52:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scrawled:

Large plastic storage tray with compartments. Hack the compartments about to your hearts content.

FWIW, all my drill bits are strewn about in my toolbox, the back of the car, the garage, the shed, various boxes, coat pockets, on the desk, on the bedroom window sill.........

Reply to
Lurch

Hi,

I'd rout or cut some deep slots in thickish ply in a pattern of squares, then use thinnish ply plugged into the slots as dividers.

Then have a frame glued round the outside and a lid that covers the whole lot.

With a bit of luck the thinner ply will be available in a thickness that suits the width of the router bit or circ blade.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Makro are doing a nested set of three of these made from ali for 12 quid at the mo. No insert though - so you would need to supply that yourself.

Reply to
John Rumm

A few magnetic knife racks mounted in a box?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Some clever ideas here. I most like the idea of a wood frame with strips of wood running across with holes drilled in them, as I can pack all the bits in as close as I want, replace the strips any time, and if the strips are mounted on one screw at each end they can swivel up for access, and down for max density packing. Add thin sheet ali on each side of the frame and we have a compact light box, wont come apart when dropped, fully reconfigurable, yeah. Thanks :)

I forgot just one thing... round tuits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222