Drill atachment to pulp fruit

Hi, I have pounds and pounds of fruit in the summer which go to make country wines. I've seen this:

already have everything except the drill atachment. Can you suggest what and where to buy anything which will do the job please? Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

Maybe a plaster mixing paddle? Not quite the same, but still:

if you could get it balanced reasonably well (to avoid destroying the drill), you could maybe attach a horizontal rod to the paddle base in the manner of the original?

David

Reply to
Lobster

It looks like the drill chuck just fits the spindle and you hold the drill. Were you thinking of making it hands free?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It says it's a blade. That made me think about using a tiny lawnmower blade, but then I thought this sounds like the beginning of a horrific accident...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Would be unlikely to be food-grade stainless steel, though?

Reply to
polygonum

Those fruit pulpers *are* the beginning of a horrific accident... I have one & it's probably the scariest tool I have, including the chainsaw.

Reply to
Huge

We have a vine with 160lbs of grapes. Couple of big yellow buckets (picked bunches and stripped grapes), then just a paint mixing paddle on a drill.

I do keep one clean and just for grapes!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Have only used it with apples but a clean garden shredder makes short work of pulping them. important to clean and rinse any metal parts thoroughly,a spray of Potassium metabisulfite solution before use to sterilize. If there are alloy parts as well as steel a wash down is recommended almost immediately after use.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

As others have said, paddle mixer - from =A35:

expensive, but this looks the part:

't forget the angle grinder to put a lethal edge on everything ;)

Reply to
dom

When I was into winemaking a good few decades back, one of the books I had made a point about never using yellow plastic for anything to do with brewing...apparently the yellow dyes are toxic or cause something nasty to occur during the process.

Reply to
Phil L

Especially after you've used it on grass, slugs, mud, etc.

Reply to
Adam Funk

All you need is a drill with a chuck. The blade is supplied with the bucket, and its shaft sticks out through a hole in the lid - and just needs to be rotated.

But look out for fruit juicers at the likes of Lidl and Aldi. They come up in their special offers from time to time - and don't cost much more than the bucket and blade you cite - and will do a much better, and safer, job.

Reply to
Roger Mills

none of which will have have been anywhere near the fruit, of course ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Depends on how long the grapes are in there. A short dunk during pulping is no big deal. A couple of weeks would be a different matter.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Expensive drill to drive it though (M14, slow speed). Mine cost me >=A3200.= You don't want to fasten it to your 9" angle grinder!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Same with black

but that's during the fermentation process, not pulping

Reply to
geoff

What on earth for? You are going to ferment the result.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Bollocks I am, I'm not making cider or wine. A couple of bottles are filled straight away and used for almost immediate consumption,the rest is put into freezer bags and frozen. Once defrosted it is drunk fairly quickly same day or no longer than the next. Some would say I would say I should pasteurize the juice but it's only for me and the missus and I'm happy to rely on using water washed undamaged Apples and thereafter relying on my taste and smell to decide if the juice is still fit to drink. But just in case some cat,rat,dog shit slugs etc have been in contact with the shredder after normal use I think as well as being visibly clean after a wash and scrub it's a good idea to sterilize it before using it as a food processor. A spray of Potassium metabisulfite solution is easy to make up and quick to apply.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

OK, wash the lawnmower while you're washing the fruit. :-)

Reply to
Adam Funk