Drier Repair

I sent this to our local newspaper a couple of weeks ago, but they did not publish it. I think it asks a few relevent questions. Does anyone else?

Regards George.

Quote:

Freedom of Information.

Dear Editor,

A few days ago, our old faithful drier gave the first bit of trouble of its long life.

After a few minutes of operation it started to switch itself off. As I was trained in Radar, Mainframe Computers and a host of other high tech equipment, this sort of occurrence is not a big worry to me, or normally a problem. I can fix almost anything.

A quick look round revealed a simple circuit containing only a few devices and - rather than trial and error which often takes longer, I looked for a bit of advice. After looking on their website for a wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide and finding little of any real use, I asked to speak to their Technical Support and was in turn asked if I wanted to report a fault. No, I just wanted to talk to an Engineer for a minute and download a wiring diagram.

A fairly long silence ensued, then a polite young lady tried to tell me that if I wished to carry out my own repairs they were not allowed to help me in any way, "because of Health and Safety Regulations"! I argued, of course, but she said she would get the sack if she helped.

I was horrified with this response. This has profound implications. Does it mean that now I do not have the right to even attempt to fix my own things in my own home? Do I have to ask for an Engineer to pay a call, to tell me that it can no longer be supported, charging an astronomical price to get me to buy a new drier? What about the wonderful Freedom of Information Act? What about my Human Right to mend my own property, to preserve my meager savings? Have these suddenly been withdrawn? Does it mean it is against the law to even try such a thing?

This Nanny State attitude and all the new regulations about just about everything, is starting to get on my wick. I am being slowly criminalized by regulations - about which, I can no longer keep up to date, of which, I cannot see the point, or that are so costly or intrusive that I am very reluctant to adhere to them. I will not say that I will not obey them because, as I am now guilty until proven innocent, I would probably be arrested and put away by our poor overworked, underpaid, understaffed and probably demoralized, Boys in Blue, who have to try and enforce all these stupid new rules. Has this Government never heard that Regulations and new Laws, which are so easy to write in a comfortable, well-paid seat in Whitehall are not actually of much interest at all to real criminals, and to a large extent are ignored by the general population. Have they never heard of the advantages of the carrot over the stick? Overcrowded prisons; I wonder why!

Sorry to go on about this. Oh yes, I fixed the drier, it was diagnosed with no help whatsoever from the makers and a new relay from Maplin - (designed no doubt for a much higher tech machine than a humble drier, but priced at only just over three pounds), will give it a new lease of life for another five years. It was full of fluff and needed a cleanout anyway. A bit like the government really.

G. Bell.

Reply to
George

We're used to it.

In many cases yes, but in any case a manufacturer (a) will not want to risk liability by encouraging DIY repair, and (b) will want to support its in-house or authorised dealer repair businesses.

Does not apply to tumble drier manufacturers.

Can't see that one in the Convention...

If that were ever a Human Right, Gordon Brown would have abolished it long ago.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes but it's just that company's policy, nothing to do with H&S or HMG. Virtually every central heating boiler manufacturer's site has full manuals including circuit diagrams available for download. Far more dangerous if messed up than a tumble drier.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Never seen a cct dia for a boiler - only a wiring diagram showing how the PCB interconnects with others components (which you can usually trace easily enough from the wires anyway).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Same for washing machines IME. Very hard to get hold of but it would be good if someone knows different !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

"George" wrote in news:1173289372.476057.178550 @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

1) The Freedon of Information Act does not apply to commercial companies

- only government departments, local authorities etc. etc.

2) The Human Rights Act does not apply for umpteen reasons, too many to list here !

3) The Health and Safety at Work Act does not apply in this scenario.

4) You have met a company that has decided not to encourage you to mend a piece of their equipment in case you injure yourself, or others, and then try to sue them for giving you poor, incomplete or inaccurate advice.

5) To talk about it "being against the law" is just nonsense!

Solutions:

1) Do not use that company again (and, as you have done, warn others).

2) Attempt to repair the equipment yourself (as you have done) at your own risk.

I really cannot see what you are raving about - sorry.

Reply to
Terry W.

With current levels of complexity, microprocessors & so on there's probably little one can do to repair a PCB anyway, unlike Ye Goode Olde Days where you could trace down to a faulty component and fix it with a little electronics knowledge. About the closest I've come recently was a fairly simple Worcester boiler PCB (24i, not CDi) which would intermittently switch the fan on or not as you prodded the board. It was fairly easy to trace the wiring to the relay and see that it had a break around the solder on one pin. A cct diagram prolly wouldn't have made much difference in that case.

Reply to
John Stumbles

OK, be picky

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I did read today that he had undergone root canal treatment allegedly without anaesthetic.

This is a small recompense, but to be able to derive real value, one would have to certain that he had suffered pain.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , George writes

Tumble driers and washing machines probably account for more shocks and fatalities amongst domestic dabblers than any other appliance. They are basically a big earthed metal box with lots of bare and often hidden electrical connections tucked under rims and behind motors.

Since the typical dabble involves turning the power on and off between dabbles it's inevitable that the power inadvertently gets left on for one dabble too many and current finds a new and exciting path through a juicy human.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Nice excuse - more likely that they don't want circuit diagrams in the public domain where all and sundry can copy them....

Reply to
cupra

That sounds like a clear case of poor design. Mine isn't, even though it is a cheap Indishi^W Hotpoint. The connections are in noway hidden and are easy to access as soon as you take the top/back off. Even to the point of having uninsulated connectors so you can get a good look.

RCDs are a good idea.

Reply to
dennis

Its a drier.. there are a limited number of bits and connections.. you don't need a cct diagram.

What would be useful is more information on what the thermistor values should be so I can test the one I think is faulty in my washer drier. Instead I have just bought a replacement, a waste of £6 if its good anyway.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No it's case of cheap design.

You have a Hotpoint? My deepest commiserations on owning one of the most unreliable and badly designed machines on earth.

If it's not given you grief yet then that's something to look forward to. I always go for the mass produced brands like Indesit since they make so many they can't afford comeback and get plenty of feedback to iron out faults quickly.

Are you sure there aren't hidden connections anywhere? One way to find out is to unplug it and run your fingers around bits you wouldn't expect to find live parts. When you feel a lump of wires take a good look.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Hotpoint are Indesit. They used to be good machines until the Italians got involved. I will never buy an Indeshit machine again.

I have had it apart enough times now.

Reply to
dennis