dried mortar marks

My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How can re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is damaging the brickface.

Yaz

Reply to
Yaz

You can buy a brick cleaner - it is fairly corrosive so use it sparingly - but it won't remove huge chunks of motar. It will remove cement residue from the faces of bricks if applied with a stiff brush.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

Disclean

hire shops or builders merchants stock it.

Why don't you get the builder back in?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from Martin Evans contains these words:

Anyone know what it does to slate?

Reply to
Guy King

No, I've not tried that but I did use mortar cleaner on my patio (which is a circle of coloured cement blocks) after my mother in law spilt a bottle of wood stain all over it and now that it has weathered a bit you cannot tell. You can always dilute it down and try it and increase the stength to see what happens. It is fairly corrosive but a good wash with water afterwards should ensure no lasting effects.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

So he'll have to come back and sort it out then won't he, even if he has to scrape every little blob by hand with a dremel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or a wire bush and some brick acid..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lumps are removed with a rotary wire brush, pref in an angle grinder. Dremel also ok for small amounts. But use care, these will rip into bricks easily. Remaining film is removed with brick acid, which eats mortar for breakfast.

Dont delay cos the mortar gets harder as the days pass. Clean up should be done the next day.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Wire brushes on brickwork will leave a visible metal sheen, or damage brick faces in the case of soft facing bricks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

their use should stop just short of the brick face, but as close as possible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Brick acid etches the metal dust too.