Dremels and similar

Mini drills are one of those tools that you don't need often, but occasionally they are *really* useful. My Dremel 3000 just died, web search suggested triac failure as a common fault, so I replaced that, but it's still dead. I guess I might have cooked the adjacent timing chip when replacing the triac. (When I get round to it, I might bypass the control circuit and add an external speed controller. Should have said that armature and field coils seem OK and there is negligible brush wear).

However I could do with an immediate replacement. A bit reluctant to get another Dremel, there are numerous clones at around half the price on eBay and Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

Reply to
newshound

My Duratool ones (CPC own brand I believe) seem pretty OK and are certainly very cheap.

Reply to
cl

Don't think it's a CPC own brand as I've seen them in Maplin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

bypass the controller.

They're called die grinders.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Proxxon look handy but not cheap.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If you have a compressor,die grinders beat the dremel types hollow.

Reply to
F Murtz

I have a compressor and a die grinder, but I certainly would not use this for (for example) drilling half millimetre holes in beading, to take panel pins.

Reply to
newshound

I have seen them on, and bought them from, Amazon.

Ah, here is some info.:

Davey