dremels

Thanks. The wiki is great but didn't mention branded vs. unbranded so this is the bit of information I was looking for. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Yes, that's what I did. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Eventually and after breaking numerous cut off wheels.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spray the rusty screws with Ambersil or something similar and leave for a few hours, repeat if necessary.

Reply to
Bob H

Spray the rusty screws with Ambersil or something similar and leave for a few hours, repeat if necessary.

Oops, I didn't realise you had already removed them, ah well.

Reply to
Bob H

I had a feeling something was wrong, like use of wrong bit. Grit cutoff wheels are extremely fragile, and not a great choice.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have a small battery Dremel which is useful for just this sort of thing. Because it's lighter than the mains jobs, it's easier to use a delicate touch & not break the cut-off wheels quite so often.

Incidently, I have a battery Dremel & a mains one made by Skil, I can't say that I've noticed much difference between them in terms of quality.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Oh good grief. It would be.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think that Dremel are owned by Bosch. I think that Skil are owned by Bosch. I think that could explain lack of significant difference! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Dremel's just another brand - a good brand but hardly the only one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have not used my Dremel clone for that purpose (yet), but I have used it to remove the rusty close-coupling bolts for the cistern (why won't they use stainless-steel ones?)

As it happens, even the DC would not fit in, as the body was just too wide, caught on the toilet and due to the angle would not cut at the base of the screws. I thought I was going to have to take the whole toilet out for access, but then I remembered that I had a (thinner) flexible drive for it and that did the job.

A cheap clone is sufficient (mine is a mains powered one that cost about £15 from Maplin) and will do jobs that would be extremely difficult and/or time consuming without them.

Dremels cutting disks, etc. seem far better than the cheap ones, but (especially for the occassional job) the clone tools themselves are fine.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW