Dremel "instructions"

I have just bought my first Dremel, a Model 4000 kit, and the instructions are totally weird. All pictures, the only text is 'warnings', a CD with lots of useless information, and hardly anything in the kit is mentioned anywhere. I'm still trying to find how to mount all the little abrasive discs that came with it, I can't find any mention, and they are too flimsy to be self-supporting. Still, the reason I bought it, to remove the old rusted bolts underneath the toilet holding the cistern in place, has been satisfied. Is Dremel always like this?

Reply to
Davey

There's a 'mandrel' for mounting the discs. It's a thin rod with a threaded socket in one end, and a screw that goes into it. Use the screw to attach the disc, then put the mandrel into the 'chuck' of the Dremel.

Not sure it applies to all models, but tighten the chuck using the spanner provided. You can lock the spindle by pushing the button in the side. But you may have a newer model with new arrangements for this.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, I tried that, even put 2 of the discs back-to-back to add strength, but they still flop about, as though they need some support behind them. They are literally thin paper, with an abrasive face on one side. Some have blue markings on the back, some have red. They look as though they should have a rubber pad or something to go behind them. But if that's the way they go, ok.

I also have a thing that looks like a very short screw threaded end, with a small shoulder behind it. I can find no mention nor picture of it anywhere, except in the display of what's in the kit.

Thanks for thoughts.

Reply to
Davey

Doesn't sound like you've got the proper 'cut-off' discs, they should be about an inch diameter and maybe 0.5mm thin, rigid and quite brittle, you have to avoid any twisting of the dremmel while cutting or they ping into bits (wear goggles!)

Reply to
Andy Burns

The proper cutoff discs are rigid - and pretty delicate. Don't expect them to work as shown in the ads.

That's for the felt polishing mops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

all explained here

NT

They are sanding discs centrifugal (centripetal?) force keeps them somewhat rigid . Actual cut off discs are rigid .

Anecdote :- I once had to cut an Aluminium flask in half, that used up all the cut off discs in the kit. Had to buy a new set of discs to replace them .

Nearly eighteen pounds for 67 discs. Mind you should last ages.

soup

There is one such disc, and one much thicker, in the kit. There are also two cut-off discs that clipped on with an EZ-clic, and they did the job that I needed. This is still strange.

Reply to
Davey

Ah, ok, thanks.

Reply to
Davey

They are too small for that, they have a tiny hole in the middle, smaller even than the screw in the mandrel.

I was expecting to find a rubber backing pad, but no dice.

Yep.

Nope.

Got that, just no use for it yet.

I still have my industrial safety glasses from my working days.

Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

They didn't look rigid to me, but next time I need to sand something, I'll try it.

But I did use one attachment today too hold the tool at the right angle to sharpen a set of garden edging shears, and it worked perfectly.

Reply to
Davey

In which it clearly states: "Sanding discs Sandpaper disc & rubber backing pad 5761-2.jpg

Sandpaper discs are used with a rubber backing pad Typically weak and fine grit, making progress slow Not really suitable for stock removal sanding".

It would be nice of they had supplied the rubber backing pad as well as the discs.

I have more sanding drums than I can imagine ever needing, maybe they made a substitution.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

SOMEWHAT rigid is perhaps overstating the case maybe it should be less floppy. Rotating anything fast enough should make it try to fly to the outside of the circle so stiffening the disc (whether that stiffening is to SOMEWHAT rigid or to LESS FLOPPY is arguable [but not to me])

Reply to
soup

The "EZ-Klik" is just a way to rip-off punters.

Reply to
Steve Firth

These are bog standard (different widths, roughnesses etc but still) requiring a normal collet type holder. EZ-KliK ones were availlable but not knowing what they required I gave them a wide birth. Didn't realise the B&Q ones were going to be so expensive I was getting something else (wife was at Tesco's I decided I'd get a torpedo level...) saw these and decided I'd get these it was only after I'd been to the till I found out how much they were

Reply to
soup

The EZ-Klik and cutting disc came with the kit, and since it was the only device that worked for what I wanted, I'm glad it did. This is going to be a learning process.

Reply to
Davey

????

Reply to
Davey

I've noticed that in several kits, its odd. Not too hard to get a disc of rubber though, the important bit is getting the hole dead centre.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thank you, and everyone, for confirming that it's not just me being thick, there are certain 'issues' with Dremel's stuff. But it is a very good tool, no question.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

What is that intended to signify? A missing four character word?

Reply to
Steve Firth