DreamLiner and Li-ion

Alcohol?

Reply to
bert

Well, they were in tower blocks next to the harbour, and the plane landed on an artificial spit of land out in the harbour, so I believe they were higher than me.

Reply to
Davey

error.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Lets be honest, who would sit in a passenger seat with drivel at the wheel

Reply to
geoff

When we were designing the DC power system for the eurofighter, we had to have an amended design for uk machines as they insisted on lead acid batteries

Reply to
geoff

In message , brass monkey writes

Just seen

thought most planes crashed at ground level

However, it is impossible to fly a eurofighter without computer assistance

Ah -you're talking commercial there

Reply to
geoff

Indeed, the plane was incapable of doing what the pilot commanded. So it did the best that it could. Without the digital controls it would simply have crashed a bit earlier.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Read more:

us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

----------------------------

"Two test pilots ejected safely after what officials described as an 'incident inside the aircraft' as it flew at 45,000ft."

I'll bet the heater or rear wiper packed-up.

I realise that, that's why I'd never go anywhere near one.

That's true, I'd expect better safety with the forces. Then again, if you can get a red-arrows pilot ejected into his conservatory roof.........

Reply to
brass monkey

They have computers for that. Yea, right.

Reply to
brass monkey

This is so far from the truth its not even funny. Ask a pilot

Reply to
fred

My mistake.

"According to Kelly Nantel, director of public affairs at the National Transportation Safety Board, there?s never been a commercial airline crash caused by a drunk pilot. And as former airline pilot John Cox told USA Today in 2010, the FAA conducts numerous tests?more than 10,000 pilots are tested every year, with about 12 failing, on average"

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's the way I've always heard it - he overrode the computer. But there seems to be some dispute and fiddling with evidence. Do you have a link to the official reports anywhere?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Fortunately the visual and aromatic effects show them up before the take off most all of the time, and they do have a co-pilot next to them who will usually ask questions .. especially Quantas;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Pilots might be a little biased.

Reply to
dennis

Oh, that's *really* funny. If only you knew ...

Reply to
Huge

The official report is here:

a short summary here:

thing that is rarely talked about is the consequences of the accident. An aeroplane with 136 people on board crashed in a forest with a subsequent fire. Three people died. That, to me, is an astonishing result. You can't crash a car into a forest at that speed with a full complement of passengers and expect to get away with just three deaths.

The digital controls, on this occasion at least and IMHO saved 130 lives.

What I don't understand is what fuckwittery at Air France led to them thinking it was a good idea to perform a low level (100ft) pass at an airshow with a plane that had passengers on board. And what persuaded the pilot to try a manoeuvre at less than 100ft that normally would be demonstrated at 1000ft? It was a c*ck up of Costa Concordia proportions.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed...

Titanic proportions .. in a way much the same feckwittery tearing thru an ice infested ocean at night!....

Reply to
tony sayer

>> One thing that is rarely talked about is the consequences of the accident.

Two excellent points.

Reply to
newshound

It was an airline pilot who first said that to me. My Seneca came with a complete set of approved blind flying screens and, thanks to a no expenses spared approach by the previous owners when replacing avionics that were stolen, it was particularly well equipped with some of the latest equipment available. That made it a rather popular hire craft for commercial pilots doing instrument training and, from that, simply for leisure hire. The comment came during a conversation about the differences between flying heavy metal and light aircraft.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar