Drayton TRVs: MAX not high enough

I have fitted Drayton TRVs on most rads like these:

i find that the MAX setting is too low in less well-insulated rooms. i.e. the room tempertaure is below what I would like (23C) but the TRV is closing while the thermostat still calls for more heat.

has anyone else encountered this? Is it because I have the rads top fed with the TRV on the inlet and therefore sensing a lot of heat directly from the rad? Is it because I have too little rad capacirty so the system is running with a high max water temperature (85C)?

The heads seem to move about 1mm for each step in the temperature setting (1:6(max)), with a total range of 6mm. Perhaps I could insert a 2mm thick spacer to raise the sensor higher.

Any well-known solutions?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 07:52:01 -0800 (PST) someone who may be RobertL wrote this:-

Is the thermostat in the same room as radiators with TRVs?

23C is very hot.
Reply to
David Hansen

our living room.

Our thermostat in the hallway is never below 25°C

Reply to
slider

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:35:25 -0000 someone who may be "slider" wrote this:-

That is even hotter, but is there a radiator nearby?

Reply to
David Hansen

staircase, think most of the heat rises upstairs.

Reply to
slider

Turn down the trv in the room where the electrically controlled thermostat is obviously!

But it's not that the boiler shuts off prematurely. It's that the cold room rad TRV turns off the flow at too low a temperature.

thanks for the discussion anyway folks.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

On its Max setting, it shouldn't cut off the flow until the room temperature reaches about 27 degC. As others have said, if that isn't hot enough, remove the head and just leave the valve fully open.

What is the orientation of the head? If it's vertical, and if you think it's being heated unduly by the rad itself, you could try fitting it the other way round, so that it is horizontal.

Reply to
Roger Mills

A further thought . .

If you really want to offset the temperature control range upwards, you could try grinding a bit off the end of the pin - but that would, of course, be non-reversible - and you'd have to make sure that you didn't grind so much off that the valve didn't shut completely when the decorating cap was fitted.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Way too extreme. Just take the head off the valve like I said earlier.

Reply to
slider

I did think of grinding the pin, currebtly I am running with the heads removed. i think that if I shove a rubber washer in there I should be able t orais eth TRV by a few mm and that shoul do the trick.

They are mounted upright and are at the top, so they are in the worst situation for getting an 'over optiomistic' feel for the room tempertaure.

RobertL

You just want an excuse to use an angle grider as the solution:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hello,

I had to 2 x TRV4 chrome radiator valves fitted to 2 new radiators 6 month ago in summer. I have notice now in winter the radiator is not keepi ng room warm enough as it is shutting radiator off when set on max. I woul d say rooms were about 20-22 'C degrees.

If I remove the TRV4 head the radiator heats up to a roasting temperature. If screw the TRV4 to a lower setting the room gets colder. It seems propo rtional on both radiators. Its just MAX setting seem to low on both valves , any advice would be helpfull.

Drayton say this is nothing to do with radiator balancing and sounds like T RV head has problem. I am swapping out tomorrow the head from screw fix. I am not confident as it is both radiators doing the same and the are 6 mon ths old.

Regards

Frank

Reply to
frankmalia

They are *genuine* draytons are they? Ebay will sell you clones which are total crap.

I agree it sounds like a head problem. Have you tried unscrewing the head attachment slightly, which will have effect of giving you a bit more pin movement. If it works, you could use thread lock to fit the head in the better position.

Reply to
newshound

TRVs are fairly useless objects. They are more influenced by the nearby hot radiator than the room temperature.

You need to get heads for the TRV with remote sensors. (They are connected by means of a capillary tube.)

Put the sensor as far as possible from the radiator and NOT above it.

Reply to
harry

That was my thought, until I used them and found they actually work extremely well. They are normally fitted in a position which is the in-draft to the radiator from the room when the radiator is on, so they follow room temperature very accurately when radiator is on. Response is a bit more delayed when radiator is cut off, because they've lost the draft past them.

Finding the optimum position for a room thermostat is quite an interesting challenge - something I've done a lot of experimenting with over last 20 years. Attaching it to a wall with substantial thermal mass does introduce some interesting errors which you won't get by having it on the lower radiator tails. So does attaching it to an external wall, which is where radiators are normally fitted.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds like the valve and body are a mis-match.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1. With "new technology" I'm starting to think about having one or more extra thermostats, but probably only to give "overall" rather than local control.

I already have a switch by the back door in what would be the room thermostat circuit (if I had one) so that it is easy to switch off the CH if going out for part of the day.

Reply to
newshound

6 month ago in summer. I have notice now in winter the radiator is not kee ping room warm enough as it is shutting radiator off when set on max. I wo uld say rooms were about 20-22 'C degrees.

. If screw the TRV4 to a lower setting the room gets colder. It seems pro portional on both radiators. Its just MAX setting seem to low on both valv es, any advice would be helpfull.

TRV head has problem. I am swapping out tomorrow the head from screw fix. I am not confident as it is both radiators doing the same and the are 6 m onths old.

First of all thanks for responses, very good....

OK, I swapped the Heads at screwfix, as they were still under warranty, and the problem is the same.

I think it is the raw heat of the pipes, The TRV body is red hot nearly. I think because it is chrome the heat is transfering and shuting down the T RV. I have swapped the head to return side as valve parts are the same and I can get 23'C in the room now, instead of 22'C the return side is cool er slightly as radiator heat is disipated.

Does anyone know if the white TRV4 units are plastic bodies or metal prayed white, wondering if these will not transfer heat to the head as much.

I do not think this to be normal as I have eden and bulldog valves(all plas tic) on rest of radiators in house and on max setting my rooms will get far to hot so and I can bring them down to optimum setting, usually 3-4(on a 1

-5 valve), this is the control I desire, and as per drayton specs, should get.

Yeah I know I should of bought what I knew worked but these two valve on tw o modern radiators so wanted something fancy. Might swap out in summer on a nice DIY day.

I think this must be normal for TRV4s I cannot not have 4 units that are d odgy.

As for raising valve a bit, I have purchased 1.6mm Nylon washers to fit in side the m30 thread. My only issue here is that I not sure if that valve will close as TRV head might not have enough stroke to close the valve. I am hoping that nylon will bite in the metal serated grip teeth that stop TR V head spinning. They should arrive tomorrow so will let you know.

Any comments, appreciated

Frank

Reply to
frankmalia

s 6 month ago in summer. I have notice now in winter the radiator is not k eeping room warm enough as it is shutting radiator off when set on max. I would say rooms were about 20-22 'C degrees.

re. If screw the TRV4 to a lower setting the room gets colder. It seems p roportional on both radiators. Its just MAX setting seem to low on both va lves, any advice would be helpfull.

ke TRV head has problem. I am swapping out tomorrow the head from screw fi x. I am not confident as it is both radiators doing the same and the are 6 months old.

nd the problem is the same.

[...]

I see the extended capillary version could work, but would look utterly, s o think i will try a bodge with nylon washer first.

Also looking at the Plastic RT212 and RT414, hopefully heat transfer will b e less, will these fit on the body of a TRV4 valve, any idea.

Regards

Frank

Reply to
frankmalia