Drayton TRV4 reverse / reversible flow?

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure I've read on here that Drayton TRV4s don't care about the direction of flow of water - i.e. they can be fitted on flow or return, and don't care.

I've bought one to have a look, and this isn't what it says at all. The one I bought said "reverse flow" - though all the ones I've seen on-line seem to say this. You _can_ fit it to flow or return, but you need to know which is which because on flow it needs to be mounted vertically, and on return it needs to be mounted horizontally.

This makes sense. So, is there a version of the TRV4 which is truly agnostic to the direction of flow? If not, can I fit these in the wrong way without breaking them, and swap them around if they play up? Because there are parts of the system where I think it would be far easier and quicker to do this than to find out which is flow and return before fitting them!

(system is completely in pieces now with no rads fitted, and some pipe runs missing).

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

If not, can I fit these in the

If you don't mind draining the systemagain, why not try it? However, a few years back I had a problem with loud rumbling or thundering where similar valves had been fitted (not by me) the wrong way round.

Peter Scptt

Reply to
Peter Scott

TRV4s *are* agnostic to flow direction. Maybe they could have chosen a better term, but that's what Drayton mean by "reverse flow". If you look on the valve body, you will see a right-angled arrow with an arrow-head on both ends, indicating that either direction of flow is ok.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's true - I see that arrow - so why do the instructions (on the flap of the box itself!) say otherwise?!

If the instructions were/are true, I think it means it's supposed to work with the water pushing against the valve (i.e. pushing it open, rather than shut).

(There's a funny symbol - something like pi, but not - under one end of that arrow but not the other).

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Older TR4's bodies were directional - although the heads are the same.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Mine have this as well. Any ideas?

Reply to
John

What do the instructions *actually* say? Can you scan them, and upload an image somewhere, with a link here?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Will do.

They're _not_ the same as the ones on Drayton's website, which say "15mm angle TRV4 bodies feature REVERSE FLOW capability enabling installation on the flow or return, with the head either vertical or horizontal." Found in "TRV4 Thermostatic Radiator Valve Datasheet" from here:

David Robinson

No info yet on the "Pi" symbol - I have BOSS valves and these have the symbol (can be seen in some illustrations)

am wondering if it is merely a trade mark for the brass stamping.

Reply to
John

I can't see anything in that which says they're anything other than bi-directional. Can you?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No, that was my point! Whereas mine say "15mm angled bodies can be fitted vertically on the flow, or horizontally on the return" which implies to me _ not_ horizontally on the flow, _nor_ vertically on the return!

Anyway, I have uploaded photos as requested...

't this exactly what all TRV4s look like??? At least, most of the ones on eBay seem to look like this.

If so, why does the text apparently contradict what everyone knows to be true? Or have 6 months hard DIY-ing wrecked my English comprehension skills?! Or have I been sold a "fake"?!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

> Isn't this exactly what all TRV4s look like??? At least, most of the

That's very odd! That bit of text *does* suggest that they're directional, whereas the "Reverse Flow" tag and the double-ended arrow suggest that they're not!

I think you'd better contact Drayton - aka Invensys - in order to bottom this out!

I'll be amazed if they *are* directional - but please us know what they say!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'll feel an idiot phoning them, since their website is very clear...

the less, for the sake of figuring out why their packaging says what it does, I phoned them, and...

"It's badly worded - use it either way around" was their response.

So I can stop worrying!

And you were all right all along. :-) But then I expect nothing less from most folks here on uk.d-i-y!

Thanks again.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson