Drayton SCR failure

Drayton Digistat RF1 and SCR fitted last March.

Recently the heating has failed to come on from time to time but the hot water is fine.

Investigations reveal that the RF1 is calling for heat and the SCR shows a steady green light indicating that the heating should be running. At the same time however the connections on the SCR which should be connecting are open circuit with 240v across them.

A couple of sharp taps on the SCR causes the connection to make and the heating to run normally.

Connections to the wallplate are fine and the pins that connect the SCR to its wallplate appear OK.

Time to replace the SCR? Is this one known to be unreliable? Any alternative suggestions for a basic wireless thermostat?

TIA for any replies.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Having fitted hundreds of remote stats I would say that the Drayton is about the most reliable.

I believe that I have a spare SCR knocking about in my van if you want it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Many thanks for the offer. I sent pretty much the same as I posted here to Invensys customer care and they have offered to replace it without seeing or testing it. Can't say fairer than that. In the meantime I had bent the sockets on the wallplate to ensure better contact with the pins on the SCR and at present the unit is working fine.

Reply to
Invisible Man

A much better response than I got from Salus when a brand new unit would not work.

They could not even reply to my messages.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't answer your question, but you have raised one in my head.

My mother's central heating is doing what you describe - tankfuls of hot water but intermittent heating. Hers has a Drayton wireless room stat, which I fitted about five years ago.

We (me and the '24-call-out' central heating cover numpties) have replaced 2 x syncron motors and a complete 3-way valve head unit to no avail, until two weeks ago I took the receiver off & noticed what could have been a loose wire on the call for heat connection. Eureka, I thought. So I tightened the connection & thought I'd fixed it. However, she reported that one day the house was cold. Now, my mother is 85, with a mind as sharp as a sponge, and doesn't have a clue about anything invented after Churchill was a lad, so she's not the most reliable of witnesses.

I had dismissed the thermostat, as, like yours, the green light is on when it's calling for heat. I need to check with her if it's still working as it should, but your post has given me food for thought if it isn't.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Invensys have offered to replace the SCR in my case. In the meantime I have used a screwdriver to bend the connectors on the wallplate so that they will be tighter against the pins on the SCR. All working fine at present.

Reply to
Invisible Man

And the offer applies to Hugo about the spare SCR I have.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thank you for the offer.

I'm touching wood (*) at the moment that it's running reasonably well. We need to get the whole system overhauled sometime during the summer (like it should have been when Wyatt Earp replaced the boiler 5 years ago); flush the radiators, replace the programmer & install a hard-wired programmable room-stat, not leave the wiring box somewhere completely inaccessible behind the cylinder, etc.

Anyone know anyone reliable in Liverpool?

(*) Oo-er missus!

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Well if Barnsley get promoted I could do the electrics before an away game at Anfield or Goodison Park.

I suggest that you try the Invisible Mans suggestion of squeezing the terminals together first, then email me if you need the SCR.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth