Drayton Digistat +2 vs. +3

Spot the wage slave. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not sure what you expect a "boost" button to do. On the programmers I've had that simply switches the zone on for an hour. That would have the same effect as using the temp up/down buttons, except that lasts until the next set point time.

Perhaps your customers have trouble understanding programmable stats beacuse the explantion being given to them isn't clear or simple enough? B-)

The biggest difficulty maybe getting over the fact that you no long have dedicated periods of "on" or "off" with a single temperature. The heating is basically always "on" but if the house is warm enough it doesn't demand any heat. The temperature is controlled to what is

*actually required* for at a particular time.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Both are possibly dealt with via the temp up/down buttons that resets to the programmed temp at the next set point time. Have set point times set sensibly through the day with the same temperature associated with them if you don't actually want a change in temp at that time.

The "advance" function is simply adjusting the temp as required.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by "extra hour", an hour extension to the end of the current period or turn the heating "on" for an hour. The former is handled by the +1 +2 or +3 setting and the latter by the temp up/down and sensibly set points through the day.

This is with our TP75 of course, I have a feeling the cheaper prog stats out there these days may well not be quite so feature rich. But then you gets whats you pays for...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed, the hardest part is trying to get the customer to understand that there is not an off period.

I actually rewrote the instructions for the Siemens programmable stats that I install as the manual that comes with it is awful. I get very few customers who cannot understand my manual.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Workers of the world unite!

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

The message from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

The trouble is that almost nothing comes with instructions which are comprehensible to the target audience.

A very large proportion of instructions are, of course, written in Chinglish, but even if we ignore those ones, most of the remainder are little better in the end of the day.

The percentage of instruction manuals written from the point of view of the typical end user is tiny. Comprehensive concrete examples of how to achieve common desired outcomes are few and far between.

Of course, to move a little bit OT, some manufacturers do it to ensure that the only people who are likely to be able to program their equipment are those who have been on expensive company-run courses -- Panasonic telephone exchanges are a case in point.

Reply to
Appin