Drayton Digistat +2 vs. +3

I'm in the market for a programmable room stat.

Looking at

and specifically Drayton Digistat +2 and +3.........Can anybody explain the difference between the 2 products, please?

The website seems to do an awesome job of not explaining, and the datasheet is no better.

Vortex5
+2 is a 24hour model

+3 is 7 day.

ie: +2 runs the same programme each day and +3 can have a different programme for monday, tuesday etc.

Hope this helps.

Trev.

Reply to
TW

Almost. My reading of the installation leaflets is that +2 does indeed have the same programme for every day of the week, but +3 looks like a 5+2 day programme rather than 7 days. In other words, it has one programme for Mon-Fri and a different one for weekends. You can't, for example, have Tuesday different from Monday (unless you lie about the day of the week and skew the 'weekend' setting!)

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, chaps.

Reply to
Vortex5

I am sure that every day can be set up differently. It just comes pre-programmed as a 5+2 programmer.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes that's correct, I've just fitted a couple of the wireless variant. They work well enough but programming method is counter intuitive so don't lose the instructions !

Neil

Reply to
Neil Evans

Yes, on reading the installation maual more carefully, it looks like you're right.

I had assumed from the 5+2 description that it worked like my Danfoss programmer which *does* only have two programmes - one for weekdays and one for weekends. However, that's a few years old, and things have obviously moved on a bit in the meantime!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I wonder how many people really need to set up different times for each day?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

True ...most folk will either be home each day or at work each day but there will be some who maybe work part time and only work some days or part of some days . The manufacturers won't know who they are the abilty to set the programmer differently for each day is provided . The Salus one has a " 7 Day" setting AND a "5/2 Day" setting .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Too true! I made a couple of copies (bit bigger and clearer) as the setting up would take forever to guess - even the order of closing the battery trays.

Reply to
PeterC

When I was working, the heating had used to come on earlier on workdays and then go off during the day whereas at weekends, it came on later but stayed on.

But since I've been retired, it's set to do the same thing every day. [As someone once said, the trouble with being retired is that you never get a day off! ]

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm not specially wanting lots of different programs, but I would like to the controller to look nice and one key feature I really want is an "extra hour" function....which is where the Drayton appears to be weak.

I'm leaning towards the DANFOSS TP7000 which is not so nice aesthetically but has a number of simple user overrides including "extra 1, 2 or 3 hours"

Vortex4

Link BTW:

Vortex4

In article , Vortex4 writes

Honeywell really are the kings in this game in terms of sophistication and ease of use eg CM907 (wired) CM927 (wireless) but they are priced to match and I still have a few niggles with them:

  1. The relay on the 907 makes a ridiculously loud pinging sound when the relay is energised, not a problem for me as I am using it with a remote room sensor but it would be really intrusive in a living room or bedroom (for multizone).
  2. You can't turn off their proportional control system which (when in proportional temp range) insists in breaking each hour into 3 or 6 segments, firing the boiler for a time which it thinks is right during each of those periods. Proportional should be more accurate but I'd prefer to have the option for on-off control to limit the cycles on my control valves and repeated boiler starts.
  3. I've had a couple of 927s lose the wireless tying to their relay units following power failure requiring re-tying by an obscure and well hidden service option. Very inconvenient as I had to travel a bit to get to them.

Agreed the Danfoss doesn't look that pretty but its proportional mode (they call it chrono-proportional mode) can be switched off. I see they also do a remote sensor version TP7000A but that's a bit more pricey,

67quid was the cheapest I could find it with 80quid being the norm.

That 5+2 programming option is nice, copying days on the honeywells is easy but and 5+2 option would be simpler.

Reply to
fred

I have fitted a few of those. Remember that the the "extra 1, 2 or 3 hours" is only an extension of the existing temperature not a "boost"/"override" button. I am not sure that a "boost" button exists on any programmable room stat.

Personally I try to avoid the programmable room stats and try to use hard wired programmers instead.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Our Danfoss TP75 has up/down buttons to overide the set temperature in either direction, this overide stays in effect until the next set point time. The display has a little up or down pointing triangle when an overide is in operation. There is the +1 +2 +3 extenstion to the current set temp as well. I think the TP7000 is the current version.

Why? Programmable stats are far nicer as far as comfort is concerned. Programmable stat != wireless.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My number one reason for hating programmable stats is that lots of people do not understand how a programmable stat works. The people that post on this newsgroup do but in the real world it is hard work trying to get a customer to understand them.

I know the Danfoss stat you have. It still lacks the boost button that a decent hard wired programmer has.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm not completely sure what you would like a boost or override button to do?

All or most of the Honeywell programmable stats have a 'Party' button which would probably enable you to achieve the desired effect. That lets you define what set point you want for the next N hours, and uses that rather than following the pre-defined programme.

  • Just pressing the Party button maintains the current setpoint for another hour regardless of any scheduled changes which would ordinarily occur in that time. When the hour is up, it reverts to the scheduled programme.
  • Pressing Party and then pressing the Time+ button once or more extends the 'party' time by as many hours as you like
  • Pressing Party (and optionally Time+) and then Temperature + or - enables you to specify the required temperature during the 'party' period, if this is different from the current set point

This is very useful - both for making the house warmer for N hours, or for making it cooler for a period if (for example) you are going out for several hours and want to turn the heating down - but have the house warm again in time for your return.

I don't know of any manual stats which can do *that*!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have the heating go off later on a Friday night than the rest of the week, and on Sunday it goes off the same time as Mon-Thu. I also have different start up times for Saturday & Sunday.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Or an 'advance' (start the next programme early) function.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula