Drawn joints

I'm making a door for the conservatory, and I'm using cedar to match the window frames. The mortice and tenon joints joining the stiles to the three rails are quite substantial, but I'd prefer to peg them as well as glue them, particularly since one side of the door will be exposed to the weather.

Will drawn joints work OK with a softish wood like cedar?

Would it be better to use a large diameter dowel, perhaps 1/2", to spread the load and stop the wood crushing?

Would cedar be OK for the dowel or should I use something harder? I can probably get hold of some bits of ash that would be tougher.

How much should I offset the holes? 1/32" would be OK for something very hard like oak, but I guess nearer 1/16" for a softer wood.

Reply to
Guy King