Drawer Runners (Sliders)

Tearing my hair out...

I have some kitchen units that need the old drawer runners replaced. However the width between the cabinet and the drawer is 10mm (each side), but the "standard" is 12.5mm.

i.e. the width of the runner (cabinet + drawer) is 10mm.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

I have searched quite a bit, but can't find this width specified in machine readable format. Sometimes it's in the design drawing, but looking at each of these is slow going.

Thanks & regards

WeeBob

Reply to
WeeBob

Just had this problem on a Magnet kitchen from 1992, and admittedly with only one drawer, but what I did was to rebate the support on the inside support, leaving the chipboard side untouched.

Reply to
gareth

On 12 May 2015, "gareth" grunted:

Last time I had to do this, I simply turned the worn runners upside down, thereby doubling their useful lifespan. Won't work on all types of runner, obv...

Reply to
Lobster

I'd thought about rebating, but sadly I don't think my skills are up to it.

Thanks though.

Reply to
WeeBob

The problem with the current runners is that the ball bearings are falling out (and running all round the kitchen).

If I could figure out some way of picking them all up and putting them back in the runners maybe they could be reused... ;)

Thanks.

Reply to
WeeBob

You've probably tried these.

Reply to
stuart noble

If you take a sample of the ball bearing to a bearing supplier [1] they will be able to supply new loose ones. Fit in place using grease and reassemble. I did summat similar recently and it worked a treat.

[1] I use BRT because they are local and very helpful.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

That's an easy one. You stick the ball bearings back in postion with grease and reassemble.

I can see you never maintained a bicycle. :-)

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks for all the ideas.

Eventually ended up buying some of these:

At 10.5mm, the tolerance is ok. However, the slides do not extend fully (but I can live with that).

Thanks Bob

Reply to
WeeBob