Draper Quality?

I was under the impression that Draper was simply a "brand" these days. They badge other peoples stuff. Hence quality is very variable.

Reply to
John Rumm

The few government surplus tools I've had have been of excellent quality. Maybe not a posh finish, but for some things that doesn't matter.

I find their stuff rather variable. Not surprising given that it's all bought in and re-badged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The despicable spammer has reminded me of something that I've been wondering about. 30 or so years ago, Draper tools were the bottom of the barrel. Companies like Gedore, Bedford, Kamasa, Record, Marples and even goverment surplus handtools were of higher quality than Draper. Nowadays there seem to be several levels below Draper. Does this mean that Draper has improved - maybe no longer bashed out of poor quality steel by indifferent workers in the third world? Or are there just a lot of even worse monkey metal tools out there?

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

The barrel is a _lot_ deeper these days.

Draper stuff is generally OK. Not nice, but it isn't rubbish and the price is reasonable. I'd rather buy Draper than Britool - I can live with no surface polishing and rubbish flakey plating, but I object paying Facom's prices for it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought a bicycle toolkit which was about £35 including a chain degreaser/oiler bonus item but noticed some places were selling it rebranded as Draper for £70-90. It looked identical and had to be the same actual product. Try to buy the same product with generic/unknown branding and you'll save yourself ££££sss

Reply to
Martin Wilson

Or cost yourself even more when the cheep set break, only looking like the more expensive set whilst being made out of monkey metal...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Draper is usually deep discounted from its artificially hight published=20 price list. I suppose if a supplier can get away with charging list=20 he'll do so.

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann