Drains - How Far Down Are They?

Hi,

I need to dig up a small tree/big bushy thing outside my toilet window and I'm wondering how far down the drains might be. I don't want to dig them up or damage them! This must be covered by some regulation, but I don't know where to find it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

Hi

Find the nearest manhole and lift the cover - should give a guide.

They could be as little as 12", though a couple of foot would be fairly common.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The drains will be close too the surface near a loo outflow.

However provided you don't use a digger this is not a problem. They will be encased in either concrete or gravel, and are strong enough to take the odd spade..or if not - well you have dug the hole anyway, and replacing a bit of smashed plastic pipe is no big deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It varies quite a bit. The only thing you can do is go carefully. How old is the house. or the bit where your "toilet" is?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I know nothing about this subject, save that on my relatively new-build house the grey water drain was *very* close to the surface, as it had to run some five metres before it got to the main drain. So, regardless of how deep the main drain is I think you'll have to exercise care with your excavation.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

When I extended my 1960's house I found that the drains were not encased in anything.

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for all that. The house was built in 1990, so I guess the pipework could be pretty close to the surface. I'll just have to proceed carefully and hope for the best.

Thanks, Derek.

Reply to
DiddyS

No, plan for the worst instead, and be happy when it turns out not to be so bad.

If you dig down where you have to carefully, avoid the pickaxe, and cut roots where you have to, damage can be minimised.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher