Draining two washing machines to one stand

This is a bit of a repeat of a thread I did a while back, it's taken me a while to get in a position to actually do stuff.

I'm thinking of going ahead and getting a second washing machine which will stand alongside the existing one. I can sort out the water supply by getting a Y Piece (Screwfix) so that's not a problem. But I can't find the equivalent for the drainage pipe. I can just about fit one pipe into my existing stand so obviously two isn't going to go, is there something available which can connect two drain pipes together into a third single pipe?

I don't intend to drain the two machines at the same time so the capacity need not be greater.

Cheers

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I don't think you're going to find a single Y-shaped waste fitting, which I suspect is what you're looking for; instead you'll need to effectively make your own up using a T-shaped one plus two 90-degree elbows (interconnected with short lengths of waste pipe).

david

Reply to
Lobster

I've done this for a washing machine and dishwasher, where getting another waste pipe under the floor was going to be a real PITA. I used a normal w/m trap and vertical pipe, cut the upstand close to the trap, and fitted a swept tee into the vertical pipe, and an elbow to turn the result upwards. Another vertical piece of pipe provides two inlets to one trap. The whole thing takes up about 300mm width of wall with the various fittings.

We do not make any particular effort to ensure that both machines do not pump simultaneously, and have not so far had any problems with overflowing. This will depend on the particular flow rates of your machines, of course.

Make sure the vertical pipes are tall enough to give some immediate fall, given that one is now fitted to an elbow above the trap.

Use plastic compression fittings, unless you are sure that the pipes involved are glueable plastic, and the right size for solvent fittings.

Clip the upstands firmly, as the whole assembly will be a bit wobbly if you don't.

Best of luck,

Charles

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

A tee and an elbow (didn't I say that before?)

| | | | | | | | | | | | |-----| |_____| | | | | | |________| | | | | | | / | |----|-------/ | | |-----| | | | |

Reply to
Rob Morley

Probably but as I've never come across any of those terms before I'm still slightly confused :(

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

The picture shows what they are, but you snipped it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I see many different types of tees and elbows, any idea which ones would fit onto a washing machine hose?

I don't want to have to do anything else except screw things together if I can help it!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

You'll be modifying the drain pipe, not the hoses - if you join the hoses the waste from one machine will end up in the other one. So you'll need to cut the existing pipe, push a push-fit tee on to it, replace the bit you cut off, cut a stub of new pipe to fit the elbow to the tee, and another new piece of pipe to take it up to the same level as the other one, then fix the pipes to the walls with a couple of brackets each. These are the sort of fittings you'll need:

Rob Morley

You got a big family .????? LOL Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

practice before I install it properly!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I cut the pipeand put a tee in above the trap, an elbow from that went to an additional upstand. It has worked without problems for 15 years.

Reply to
<me9

Hi,

Maybe a double plumbing out kit will do it, second down on this page:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Now that does look like the find of thing I'm after. I'm not sure what the connector at the bottom goes into, or do I just attach another bit of pipe from there into my outlet stand?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

It's designed to cut into an existing waste pipe, so it would sit perpendicular to the wall, and it's really a bit of a bodge.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It's designed to cut into an unsullied length of waste pipe, eg (typically) the bit running between the trap on your kitchen sink and where it goes through the outside wall. It comes apart, and the two yokes are bolted around the waste pipe whereupon you use an provided cutting tool to 'break into' the pipe, within the fitting. It's usually an OK-ish solution, but is not really suitable in your case where you've already got a stand pipe... far quicker/easier/neater/cheaper/more efficient just to add a tee and an elbow as already described.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It just cuts into the waste pipe, and the top of the stand pipe could then be sealed off with and end cap to prevent possible overflowing.

The attachements on the above kit can swivel in different places to make installation easier.

I'm not sure I'd recommend plumbing two washing machines into a single standpipe without seeing it. The bit about not /intending/ having both machines drain at the same time caught my eye...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C