Draining down-effect on combi boiler?

Our flat will be unoccupied during periods in the winter and I was considering draining down the water system by turning of the stop c*ck at the inlet to the flat and opening all the taps in the two sinks. There is no bath only a shower. We live in Perthshire,Scotland What concerns me is the Baxi combi boiler. Will the pressure in the boiler (1.5 bar) immediately drop or is there a pressure non return valve fitted which would keep the water at pressure in the boiler? I think that there is a valve which you turn on to increase pressure which would presumably prevent the water draining from the boiler. So do I open this valve to let water drain out? I am a bit hazy on this matter and would appreciate some guidance. Blair

Reply to
Blair

It's a completely seperate circuit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Blair writes

But leaving the heating circuit full presumably from your description?

The CH system/boiler will stay pressurised There should be a valve and a non-return valve to retain the water in the heating system, connected to the mains via flexible 'filling loop', which is supposed to be disconnected but usually isn't it would seem. The should be a little valve - usually like a washing machine tap on the mains as well.

Well you could disconnect the filling loop and open the valve I guess, It might get little bit more out of the system. I don't think I'd bother though. sometimes there is drain c*ck near the mains stop c*ck, if so, open that to drain down the water system. If not and the flat is on one level, then opening the taps isn't going to empty much water rout of the system as the taps are the high point. But the real problem would be if the mains was left on and you had leak, the amount of water in the isolated pipes isn't that much really.

Presumably if you are leaving the heating system full you are leaving the heating on a low 'frost' setting anyway

Reply to
chris French

I am much obliged for your very comprehensive reply. I now have a real understanding of how the system works. I hadn't thought of leaving the system on with a frost setting-That sounds agood idea Thanks again Blair

Reply to
Blair

Keep the heating system on 24/7 and set the room stat to 12C. You don't want the place getting too cold as damage could occur.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Blair writes

Check your house insurance for the property, you will probably find that they specify either draining the CH system down or leaving on at a low setting anyway.

Reply to
chris French