Draining and refilling Sealed CH System

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI Boiler.

I have read the instructions regarding using the filling key to initially fill the system. However, in the coming months I shall be having some work carried out and the system will need draining.

Do I just fill it through the filling loop - or do I need to perform the initial refill at the oiler using the filling key?

I want to be sure to understand what is required in case the builder / plumber attempts to do the wrong thing.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Its sounds rather like you have two filling loops... one "normal" external one, and the internal one fitted to that particular make of boiler (most sealed system boilers don't have a filling key and hence need the external filling loop).

If that is the case, then you can use either.

Its pretty straightforward - and generally easier than doing a vented system since you have no need to worry about airlocks and inverted pipe drops etc. Can be a bit tedious if working alone though! (much simpler with someone else manning the tap and topping up as you go round bleeding the rads)

Reply to
John Rumm

The thing I would be worried about is the corrosion inhibiter not being replaced, and you should ask for this to be done.

Reply to
Graham.

Many people don't find the internal Worcester Bosch one easy to use, and it's very easy to snap the plastic key off inside it, as the breaking force when pulling/pushing/turning it the wrong way isn't much more than the operating force when doing it right. They are often broken in rented properties. (Lubricating the rubber seals on it first with a tiny smear of soap or silicone grease will make it much easier to use.)

Fitting a separate bog-standard filling loop to use instead is a good idea, and you may well find that one easier to use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am guessing this is what the installer had in mind as the boiler is in the loft and I have a filling loop and gauge in the airing cupboard where the previous (gravity) boiler had been. So there is no difference in filling from this remote filling loop then?

I will add inhibitor - I am very particular about this and do it by draining a radiator and then removing the top plug from the radiator and putting in the right amount of inhibitor. However, I have not done a drain down since having this boiler fitted. I need to have a couple of radiatores moved and want them re-piping back to the manifold.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There is no difference, you will be fine filling the system from the remote filling loop.

Reply to
gremlin_95