Draining a closed central heating system

I have a Vaillant TCW Sine T3W combi-boiler connected to a closed heating system. I have removed the radiator at the end of the system in order to reposition it. I am trying to drain the system via a stop valve which is located below the boiler (the boiler is housed in an upstairs room) but no water is coming from the valve when it is opened. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I can drain the system? Many thanks
On 02 Oct 2003 16:29:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jay and mike 1) wrote:

Open the air bleed plug on the highest rad in the system, so some air can get in.
Mike Harrison wrote:

If that produces no flow it could be that the drain valve isn't actually opening ...

Especially if nothing came out at all. The system should have been pressurised and there is all that water in the expansion vessel that should come out before any air is required.
Christian.

Others have suggested how, may I suggest: why?
You say you want to reposition a rad: if you're going to solder-joint new pipework you probably do need to drain the system, but if you're using compression or push-fit you just want to get the water out of the parts of the system you're working on. You could drain pipework into paint trays or cat-litter trays or other suitable containers, or if you have a wet & dray vac that's good for sucking away water as it comes out of pipework, even as you're cutting it.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ If a job's worth doing, it'll still be worth doing tomorrow.