Drain spigot on trap for Washing machine

Okay, I'm plumbing in a washing machine, and the trap under the (new) sink has a spigot on the side to accept the drain hose from the machine.

It's a bit like the one at

it's currently rounded on the end, and not open.

I guess I have to cut the end off to the right diameter (it's a conical shape to some extent) kind of like you would on a sealant cartridge nozzle, but how do I

a) know how much to cut off b) fix the appliance hose to it such that it is watertight

and I guess

c) fix the appliance hose to it so that it can easily be replaced if the appliance is replaced at some point in the future.

Reply to
hudsterou

There could be a blanking disc behind the spigot too. When I used to have the washing machine connected to a trap like this, the water from the sink often found its way into the washing machine, which is obviously undesirable, so I prefer a separate washing machine trap and waste.

Just enough so the waste pipe fits. The tapered ridges are just to stop the pipe pulling off easily. The one in that picture looks like it has two sizes.

I found it had a good seal by simply pushing it on. Could add a jubilee clip for good measure.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Push the hose onto the fitting to see how far it goes, then cut off the sealed end to suit and secure the hose with a Jubilee clip. The Screwfix adaptor also has a screw fitting, although washer drain hoses aren't usually fitted with a screw adaptor. Adaptors are available, but then you would have two possible sources of leaks. Personally I would go for the Jubilee clip method. This is what I did with my dishwasher drain, with no problems. Remember not to turn on any taps before connecting the hose!

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D