Drain/sewer query

Hi all,
we have a 2nd loo, which (I presume) has a 3m server pip running into an inspection chamber, and thence down the road.
I was wanting to put a drain for an outside tap on the wall by the loo, and run a full 3m pipe into the inspection chamber ....
however ...
any reason why I can't break into the sewer pipe and fit a join (with suitable U-traps or whatever) ?
regards

From the loo out to the manhole is a straight run without any branches already connected to it ? If it is, then you can install a branch to it as long as it is taken from the top on the straight run of pipe. This is to prevent back-flow of soiled water into the surrounding area.
It sounds worse than it is because it sounds complicated, but all it means is that when you fit the tee branch to the straight run, you point the branch upward and connect two bends to it to point it back down on to your "U" trap in the ground. The reason it's done like that is stop all the poo running straight into the bottom of the trap and lying there sticking the place out. The trap itself, I think, has to be something it region of 250mm to 300mm deep to stop the back syphon action from the loo running, but making it from bends and a straight section to the ground inlet grille is easy and cheap. The only thing you need to watch out for, is that it doesn't run dry because it isn't used all the time, and the thing will stink to high heaven when it does. With all the rain we get in the UK this is never really a huge problem though.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On 30 Jan 2004 09:31:34 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jethro) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You can, provided that the new section is trapped and roddable. Connect a new trapped roddable gully to a straight branch to a new 'Y' connection along the existing drain run.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this