Drain rods question

Are 'old' and new drain rod sets usually compatible in terms of the screw fittings?

I ask because I have a set of (orange) propylene drain rods which aren't quite long enough for my drains so I was going to buy a new set to add to the length. This existing set is possibly 10 or so years old (at a rough guess).

Thanks

Reply to
phil

There are two types, locking and non-locking. Both are readily available. They are not compatible with each other.

Locking ones have a square section just beyond the threaded part, non locking ones don't.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, my current set is definitely have non-locking.

However, I can see the point in using locking rods - after all, you don't want a segment to unscrew when it's a few feet underground!

Makes me wonder how the heck you'd get it out if that did happen. Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Reply to
phil

Just don't think about turning them the wrong way!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or if you use the same set for chimney-sweeping, up a chimney.

Didn't Paddington forget to twist his rods and one came unstuck?

It would have to be one hell of an athletic, not to mention well-trained, ferret.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I've never had a problem with unscrewing with non-locking sets, even when using 25 rods in series (don't ask). You just make sure you keep light torque applied in the do-up direction when moving back + forth, and it's fine.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (phil) contains these words:

Can only happen if you're careless and turn the the wrong way. Or if you let someone else borrow them who hasn't a clue which way to turn anything.

Reply to
Guy King

Being able to rotate the far end can help it get around corners.

Reply to
Tony Williams

There are a lot more then just two types, I have a set of locking rods with a spring pin, which will connect with older bamboo rods (but not lock). I also have a set with a bayonet type connection.

-
Reply to
Mark

The thread must be fairly standard as you can buy extra drain brushes and chimney sweep brushes which fit on the end.

Wickes sell a 4 rod extension kit, but if you want 8 rods its cheaper to buy a complete new kit!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Throw them away.

I (*) have now had to recover two lots of plastic rods from the drains because (i) the threaded section snapped off a rod in one "all plastic" set & (ii) the brass section pulled off another plastic set with brass fittings on the ends.

I replaced them with proper steel rods that link and then screw together;

Centre sell them. The guy from the council who recovered the second set of rods from our drains (with a steel set with a corkscrew on the end) recommended them. And when I asked what he did if they got jammed down the drains, said "tow them out with the van...".

You can safely rotate them in either direction, so it's OK to use a "corkscrew" on the end of them, unlike the plastic ones.

(* I managed to grab the end of one set, the other one I had to call someone in, as above)

Reply to
Huge

Take one with you when you go to buy the new ones.

Reply to
Phil L