Drain inspection chamber

At least I think that's what it's called ! I need help in getting one.

Elderly drains (cca 70 years) which have a 90 deg bend at the end of the house alongside the road heading off to my septic tank. A broken join a metre downstream of the bend has had to be dealt with, and as there is no surface access at this point I was intending to replace the bend with plastic and put in a rodding eye. However a passing drain man (just happened to be going in next door to sort out their drains (!) , and kindly showing professional interest) has suggested there would be less work in putting in a plastic inspection chamber.

Can someone tell me please what I should be asking for and how it should be seated above the access cover in the existing 90 deg bend.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The message

from robgraham contains these words:

Plastic inspection chambers are common but I can't remember ever seeing a reference to one that just contained a bend, just branch connections.

If no one comes up with a plastic source you could build your own inspection chamber the old fashioned way with a brick surround, an open flaunched slow bend at the bottom and a conventional manhole cover above.

Reply to
Roger

Hi Roger What the guy seemed to be suggesting is that I could get an inspection chamber that I just sat on top of a bit of new concrete surrounding the existing bend, and then flaunching it in. Going the brick route is more work than replacing the bend with a plastic junction and putting in a rodding eye :>)

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Speaking of rodding, There seems to be a rodding point in my kitchen.

My soil pipe runs vertically, boxed-in, in the corner of the kitchen. When I prised the plywood off, as it was a convenient route to run a new earth cable, I discovered to my surprise that the plastic pipe had been provided with a rodding access. The pipe is then routed to an external inspection chamber at least 2 metres deep, so I guess the access is for the right angle bend buried pretty deep.

I am having a new kitchen fitted soon, and that corner will have a reduced depth unit, so as to avoid the piping. As standard, the carcase will have a solid back. I am wondering if I should ask that means be provided of getting to the rodding point, or if the worktop etc would still be such an obstacle that I should simply forget about it - after all I only discovered it by accident.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The message

from robgraham contains these words:

I installed a plastic inspection chamber not that long ago. It consisted of a base, an extension tube (could have been more than on if I needed greater depth) and a lid. Came from my local builders merchant. I presume the bits are available seperately.

Mine was only about a foot diameter but I presume there must be larger versions available.

Reply to
Roger

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 01:08:50 -0800 (PST), a particular chimpanzee, robgraham randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

A properly constructed in-situ chamber needs to have a concrete base, with a half-channel bedded on concrete and benched up. The sides of the chamber are then two courses of brick, with the pipe having rocker sections either side.

The alternative is a prefabricated chamber (which has the channels and benching in the base, and collars at the exit of the chamber).

What your guy seems to be suggesting is the worst of both solutions; slapping a bit of mortar around an open channel with plastic rings above. Chances are the pipe will move relative to the 'benching', allowing the sewage an easy place to leak into the ground or tree roots to get in.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Did some investigation today and decided that my first choice is financially and technically better even if there's more digging to do. A reasonable size plastic inspection chamber and cover are approaching =A3100. Going the rodding eye route will be a bit more involved in replacing the offending SG bend with a plastic junction etc but it avoids this benching etc and will I suspect be easier to rod if required in future.

Thanks for your comments, guys

Rob

Reply to
robgraham