Drain frequently blocked

Hi,

Its difficult to describe but I'm hoping someone will know hat I'm banging on about. Upon lifting my manholde cover in my front path, I noticed that there is a small ledge just where my drain exits, ie the water has to flow over a step on its way out. This causes tissue to get lodge there and can lead to a blockage. Is there any reason why I can't break that step so as to allow for an unhindered path for water flow. thanks

Reply to
sun_9292

Picture? Somewhere like flickr if you don't have your own online space.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

will get one this weekend and repost..thanks

Reply to
sun_9292

Yebbut, rinse the drain out well first please.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

IIRC they're often designed like this to act as a natural trap for heavier objects that might end up down the drain so they don't clog the pipes up.

It's effectively a U-bend you can clean out if necessary :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I see. the only problem is you don't realise its blocked until things start smelling and when you life the manhole cover....

Reply to
sun_9292