drain de greaser / biological something for septic tanks?

I had a blocked drain from kitchen to septic tank, OH couldn't clear it with rods etc so we sent for a man (I have an insurance for such things). He blasted it with some power jet thing and and cleared it but pulled back some hard stuff that had been blocking it. He said it was fat or grease build up and to get some stuff which would digest the grease and clear the drain/ septic tank.

Although he seemed fairly knowledgeable on septic tanks, he didn't know the name of this stuff ( came from the city nearby) . So does anyone know what this stuff is called? Also, has anyone used it, does it work and is it safe for my old, type septic brick built tank (not Karglaseter or whatever they are called) .

All helpful replies appreciated as usual. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
sweetheart

Several products on Amazon. Bio Bug and Bio Clear so not too hard to find, BUT, I wouldn't rely on use of these products to deal with bad habits, namely, putting grease or fat down the drains.

It doesn't matter how much hot water you rinse down something like lamb fat with, it'll still harden as soon as it hits the cold walls of the drains building up until the drain gets choked. Always let you dogs lick out the roasting tins first before washing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can't help you with the name of the fat digester, but strong caustic soda solution attacks and will eventually dissolve grease (it's how they make soap). However, I'm not sure the bugs in your septic tank will appreciate it, and I for one wouldn't use it. If the drain is now clear, just avoid putting fat and grease down the sink in the future. We have an old brick septic tank and were told not to put fat down the drain as the bugs in the tank don't cope with it. We keep a little dish handy in the kitchen into which all our waste fat and grease is put, and when it gets full, mix it with a quantity of porridge oats and put it out for the birds. It all disappears within minutes! Seagulls take most of it, magpies and crows the rest. The little birds have to make do with the crumbs.

If you still want to use a degreaser, plenty of references on Google:

The first one looks a possibility for you.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks.I wasnt planning on using it for a substitute. I dont actually put fat down the drain so it surprised me somewhat. I clean everything off first and I dont fry much or do up fatty foods.

I was told the build up may have been accumulative over maybe fifteen or twenty years but where it has come from I am not sure..

Reply to
sweetheart

Caustic soda is the number 1 drain fat eliminator. Used hot its fast acting. Its truly necessary to use eye protection with it, its evil stuff.

It doesnt affect brick or cement. What the bacteria will think I don't know, but even if they don't like it they'll surely quickly recolonise as it drains out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

next time just chuck it straight in the river...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

use neat caustic soda and a kettle of hot water

by the time it hits the septic tank it will be well diluted and have mostly eaten the fats and turned to soap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its truly necessary to use eye protection with it, its evil stuff.

but even if they don't like it they'll surely quickly recolonise as it drains out.

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But how well does it work if your drains are like this?

Clearly any hot water/detergent/casutic soda would just run along the bottom of the drain and not touch the accretions up the sides of the drain.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

if you need to wash the tins after the dog, he's not doing his job properly :)

Reply to
Gazz

Always let you dogs lick out the

I dont have a dog. Sorry.

Reply to
sweetheart

+1, but it will spit in your eyes and land you in hospital if you're not careful

NT

Reply to
meow2222

depends on how much you put down

boiling caustic expands..and melst...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and swirls about in the pipes, especially if you dump the hot water in rapidly

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Get one of these

Eric

Thanks to every one for their helpful replies.

I have sent for something called "drain zyme.". I will have to see how it works out.

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

those take forever