Drain C/H system to change secondary heat exchanger on combi?

Hi, Is is necessary to drain a domestic C/H system just to change secondary heat exchanger on a combi boiler (Brittony 80)?

Thank you,

Al D = = = = = = = = = = = = = = to email me, first remove the three-letter animal from my email address.

Reply to
Al D

Not if you can close off the system isolation valves. Then you only need to depressurise and drain the boiler

Reply to
John

I can close off the system isolation valves. How do I depressurise the boiler?

Thanks again,

AL D

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = to email me, first remove the three-letter animal from my email address.

Reply to
Al D

Most combis have isolators on the flow and return connections. Follow the procedure in the manual.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If you look in the manual it should show the location of the drain point. Don't use the safety valve as they almost always get a bit of crud under the seat and will not seal properly again.

Reply to
John

Yes! The manual showed a drain plug under the diverter valve, but when I looked, all I could see was solid black plastic! So I had to use the pressure releif valve - and yes, you were right: it dripped afterwards. I took it to bits and cleaned it but it still dripped! So I smeared a bit of silicone grease over the mating surfaces. All is watertight now.

Cheers,