Dragon's Den

What did you think of the SyncSocket idea?

Not a fan of wall mounted TVs but could see its appeal. Would be concerned about the depth of the hole needed - I guess it could be as deep as a wall block is thick.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A good idea but.....

I couldn't see how it would solve the cabling problem, how does the mains plug sitting a few cm back into the wall help, the mains cable is still laying about. I didn;t see anywhere for the HDMI cable to go either. What they realy needed to do was design a new plug/socket system.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It`s only `feature` was that it was the same size as a double socket on the face.

Its only 35mm deeper than a standard box!

It also comes with all those well known TV connections like CAT5/6 and satellite F connectors.No need for HDMI connections or audio I/O they are never needed on an AV install..

It doesn`t solve anything, its very deep which means any standard double socket cutout is going to take a lot of alteration, by which point fit a floor box in the wall and get power, cat5/6, HDMI, Audio, satellite and optical connection modules already.

Adam Aglionby

I guess TVs are flatter, but are the wall brackets too? I have a TV on a wall and the bracket is deep enough for me to hide all the cables and have an Apple TV stuck to the bracket with velcro.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

and in my world that would have taken me a few extra hours to chisel out of my wall.

HDMI is the standard, it goes from my cable box to the TV from my computer to my TV.

thats' what I though you still have a long cable.

I was asking about where to buy some 0.5 metre cables a few weeks ago. The cable will still be there the box doesn't get rid of the cables.

its very deep which means any standard double socket cutout is going to take a lot of alteration, by which point fit a floor box in the wall and get power, cat5/6, HDMI, Audio, satellite and optical connection modules already.

I guess it's OK in a new build or for DIY SOS where the money wouldn't matter.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yeah, bjut you had particular requirements for that lead - re not having to mod it yourself etc.

It's easy enough to get short (20-30cm) HDMI etc. leads which would be hidden behind the TV

Reply to
Chris French

It's completely stupid.

a) It needs a backbox that would be out of the other side of most walls.

b) It's probably going to bend the mains lead like mad.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Rubbish pitch, failed to demonstrate the problem before declaring they'd solved it. How many walls are going to have sufficient depth to hold the thing?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I didn't see how it would solve any 'problems with cabling. There didn't seem to be much room for multiple HDMI, coax or phono type connections especially as the lead from the mains plug intrudes into the spare space.

Reply to
alan_m

Coincidentally I was thinking that for some wiring I am considering doing in bedroom 3.

Actually doing it in bedroom 1 and poking through.

Possibly encouraged by the realisation that I put the wallpaper up before installing the sockets.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Would have been a better idea to copy the septics more throughly, shallow wall? mount the sockets at an angle , in another plane

Adam Aglionby

if they can be hiden what's the use of this sysnch box ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

If HDMI and Ethernet cables etc did plug into the box. Where did they go afterwards?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Ethernet from router for smart TV functions.

HDMI from blu-ray/cable/satellite/net streaming box(s)Can get HDMI over Cat5 convertors but usually breaks the High Definition Copy Protection HDCP chain that means TV either won`t display or will display lower res image.

HDMI is pretty fundamental to a current TV connection....

Typically audio on phono as well, I/O from centre speaker and possibly AV amp and external speakers.

Get facilities plates with all the sockets fitted wired to multi meter tails with matching plugs on end.

Prefer to take a reasonable size plate a bit deeper than trying to mine a deep hole through a double face plate sized hole.

Or wall is deep enough fit a brush plate and couple of runs trunking to another brush plate by equipment, remove 13A plug and fit IEC.

Sink box really wasn`t a convincing product.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Loads of such outlets available from the likes of CPC. But never in the combination you actually want, and never matches other sockets etc in the room.

A modular approach might be a better way - but such things tend to limit the number of outlets you can fit to a plate due to the size of the housings.

Which is why I usually end up making my own.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)