Draft from Extractor fan

Hi all,

This summer I installed a batroom extractor fan to reduce the condensation when showering, etc - particularly in winter. It's one of thos B&Q / Greenwood kits, ie through the ceiling to loft, flexible pipe, out through soffit board under the eaves. It was only £23 as I bought the version without "run-on" and operate it simply from the bathroom light.

It seems to be doing a good job, but during the recent windy weather particularly, I feel quite a draft entering the bathroom. I think this will lead to significant heat loss and a less than hot bathroom which I like.

Does anyone know if there is a "louvre" end cover that I can buy on its own and ideally has the same 5" hole and screw footprint as the B&Q/Greenwood. Will the fan be powerfull enough to suck open the louvres if installed at bathroom end, or blow them open if installed outside under soffit ? Which end is preferred ?

Thanks.

David

Reply to
David

David has brought this to us :

When I installed ours, as part of the kit I fitted on the outside a plastic 'flap valve'. A disk which filled the aperture pivoted off centre, such that it would close under its own weight or if the wind blew against it, yet the draft from the fan when it was turned on was enough to open it fully.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
,

Was it one of the B&Q/Greenwood/Marley fans ? Tnx

Reply to
David

on 08/12/2006, David supposed :

I put it in a good five years ago, so I cannot remember. I sure B&Q will have something similar.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I fitted a Vent-Axia Silhouette 100mm fan a few years ago, and that has just such a back draft stop built into the rear of the fan. (Screwfix item 47989 or 92561.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, various options in the sheds. However most anti back draft shutters are gravity operated and rely on the vent being vertical. If your outlet is horizontal they won't work as is. You'll need to find something that can go in line somewhere or prehaps adapt a vent with a anti back draft plate to work in line.

ISTR that the Marley site is pretty good for showing what they make.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice