Dowsing

Not so "homopathetic" remedies. I knew a chap whose wife sold these things to "practicioners". The mark-up was *unbelieveable*! What they sold it on for as part of their business I dread to think. This stuff was so cheap to buy (and in the right size bottles) that we got pissed on it - it was between 40% and 60% ABV! No weird effects noticed.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On the contrary, a lot of time could be wasted chasing red herrings.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Not sure what your point is. It's hard to hear bats. Badgers can't see red light. Our eyesight is as good in the dark as that of a cat. Various instruments can detect what none of us, or any other animal, can detect. Also, we've a built-in bullsht detector, and the reason to conduct valid tests to see what works, or doesn't. Dowsing doesn't.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Like a kid who claims he saw Santa's sleigh one Xmas eve it isn't possible to respond to this meaningfully without information on the test conducted and the observed results.

I don't think it's a mystery at all; dowsing isn't a profession and you won't find anyone in the Yellow Pages offering it. That's because if you tried to sell it with the promise that it worked you'd likely be prosecuted for fraud. Under observed test circumstances it has not been shown to work.

Coincidence is probable, not unusual.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Ah, but dowsers don't need money. The simple knowledge that they can wave a stick and magically find things sustains them more than material or financial concerns.

Going by the responses elsewhere in this thread, if someone left a million quid in their doorstep, they wouldn't know what to do with it. They couldn't think of a charity or cause which could use the free donation.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Oil companies spend vast quantities of money on satellite systems and other sophisticated devices to locate oil fields. Yet these folks and their magical powers claim to be able to find them by waving a stick.

The target with dowsing is indeed very big and very vague. It's "dig here and you'll find water" which is true in almost all cases.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Just fed up with people being ripped off and messed around by the bullshit in the world.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

There are no documented test cases showing dowsing in existence. Feel free to correct me.

There are a zillion things I could think of to do with a million quid. But if I couldn't, I could think of plenty of charities who could use it.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

What are you, Dr Dolittle ?

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

That is what I have a real problem with. The dowsing arguments being put forward here are not in this league, no reasonable person could say that they are. But I'd hate the idea of someone with no real opinion either way wasting a lot of time and effort and feeling like an idiot.

In Belfast a few months ago there was a poor chap who went missing, and the family brought in a psychic to try to locate him. The psychic said that the man was dead (everyone had assumed that) and was somewhere dark and watery (the police had been searching the river near to where he was last seen for some time) and was in a bad way (well, no shit). Discussing this with a few friends I got pretty much the same responses I see here - how do you know she isn't psychic ? What if you don't understand how the world really works ? What if this really helps the family ?

Nobody knows everything about how the world works, it'll be a long time before we do. Unfortunately it's not difficult to recognize flaws in the human character, and they include gullibility and the willingness to con people. Skepticism is the only mechanism we have to stop ourselves being hurt, one way or another, by lies and trickery. It should be taught in schools.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Just for the sceptics around here :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We know about how the forces interact based on our observations, which is not I am talking about.

I am not talking about what the forces actually are.

You don't need a supercollider to know that if you accidentally stub your toe on the corner of a door, it will hurt. You don't need to observe neutrinos in a bubble tank in order to know that a magnet will pick up screws. Daily, observable things are repeatable and well understood.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

I SAID I WAS SORRY.

:-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What a strange thing for a "philosopher" to say - if you put your cat in a sealed box, is it alive or dead? :.)

"Nothing is guaranteed for any process", it is simply *extremely* likely to have a certain result.

Reply to
bigegg

Don't be a tease - tell us what the strange things were. I like strange things.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
owdman

That is a very simplistic question.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well obviously YOU don't.

Some of us however, have done the experiments and seen for ourselves..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the case of most people who claim psychic powers, they daren't charge anyway,because its actually considered a fraud.

The glaring exception being alternative medicine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh? You have no idea how complicated it is and mysterious to be able to do any of the things you cite.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats what certainty is...something that has never ever failed to do what is expected.

Science consists in finding those things as a foundation on which to constrict a worldview.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher