Dowsing

I don't have beliefs.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Just that the rest of us are fruit cakes!

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher wrote: [about homeopathy]

If you don't know how the placebo effect can work on animals then you shouldn't be commenting on it. It does. It's well documented.

Now if you were to point to a double-blind experiment that has worked on animals (inc humans) then please point it out. AFAIK there have been NONE.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Why doesn't the rod point straight to your body given the amount of water it contains?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"It knows".

I wonder whether dowsing can detect air filled cavities...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's an easy one. Its down to Chemistry.

There is nothing special about life.. look at how many people make babies every year its easy and doesn't even need practice.

As for dowsing.. I have never seen it work and I have tried it myself.

Reply to
dennis

I have a well in my garden. I just need to decide where it would look best and dig it. It doesn't matter where I dig, it will become a well.

I won't though as my land is 20ft higher than the surrounding land and I don't want to dig that extra 20ft.

Anyway tap water is a lot safer.

Reply to
dennis

Only if you want it to ...

Reply to
John Cartmell

I think a better explanation is..."You know"...

You just don't know you know.

Almost all of the psychic and paranormal stuff I have read about over the years is amenable to a single simple explanation..you actually know a lot more about your environment than you are willing to have admitted to your conscious mind..sometimes some of it dribbles in through the cracks, in strange and symbolic ways. As visions, sounds, smells, feelings of temperature and other strange feelings. Hypnotism reveals memories that are entirely subconscious and the like.

If you are quite-minded, and practice a-rational observation, its amazing what is going on in your senses that you certainly didn't put there yourself..Of course, being entirely subjective, its very hard to test it OBJECTIVELY.

Some of it can be squeezed into the current rational, materialist framework..you smelt it, heard it, saw it, subliminally..but a LOT of stuff that I personally can vouch for, has to be squeezed mighty hard..knowing who is calling before you pick up the phone and so on..

As to why we don't use it...because its fragile, unreliable and needs a state of mind that is not very conducive to survival in our modern world..nevertheless remnants of it still linger in crystal gazing, scrying, card reading, witch doctoring and other forms of self hypnosis that do occasionally net results that are somewhat astonishing.

But its a lot easier to install CLI on the phone and have it come up with a persons name isn't it? :-)

As far as RANDI goes, anyone who wants to win a prize, and demonstrate his own veracity, is likely to be the worst possible candidate for being able to do this stuff. High ego levels and paranormal experiences are anathema.

#
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but this was an existing one with a brick lining!

That's another matter and not always true. Our daughter didn't want to use the well, just to know where it was.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I didn't say that it was special, just that the known laws of physics can't explain it. Nor can the known laws of chemistry, come to that..

er - that only means that you've never seen it work and that you've tried it yourself. Nothing else.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Because a) you're not always looking for water and b) you're not looking for water in your body.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You consider dowsing psychic and paranormal?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not when limited by your knowledge and understanding.

But you haven't seen a demonstration that proves that it works. [Objective. Seeing someone find an object and claim that it was done by dowsing is *not* the same as seeing dowsing work.]

I cannot think of a double-blind experiment for dowsing that would be accepted by believers - but it's quite possible to devise a scheme for your other favourite - homeopathy. Are you willing to back such an experiment - or do you insist on believing in it despite there being no reason for that belief?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Psychic - or at least explicable through the psychology of the dowser and audience rather than any material force. No need to invoke 'paranormal' as it's explicable through very normal effects.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

You thinking of searching for new popstars?

Reply to
Guy King

As a kid we (my brother and I) did an experiment whereby you create a pair of dowsing/divining rods from a straightened coat hanger and make handles from the outsides of old biros. (makes for easy pivoting of the dowsing rods)

The trick was one person left the room, the other placed a coin somewhere under the thick rug, then the dowser came back into the room and walked about over the rug.

Every time the rods would only touch when the coin was directly under the dowser. IIRC it was always between the heels.

As a further more recent un-explainable phenomena, about 3 years ago we received a free dowsing(?) or is it divining pendant from one of those "mystic" series of magazines..... anyway, by chance I decided to hold the pendant over a small pebble on the shop counter. The pendant/plumb/whatever started to move along the same line of the visible layers in the pebble. On rotating the pebble, the pendant stopped and changed direction again to the same plain at the pebbles layers.

This happened for myself and my very skeptical partner, and could be repeated with eyes shut, blindfolded and through any number of pebble rotations.

Seems everyone has the ability whether a believer or complete skeptic.

Couldn't see much purpose for the above, so haven't played with it since, but I'm convinced if you ask in your mind for whatever method to find whatever item you'll be remarkably surprised by the results.

Reply to
PeTe33

Of course they can. What bit don't you understand?

It means that at least one experiment to prove it produced a negative result. That is one more than any experiment that has shown a positive result.

Reply to
dennis

And were you taken back in time you'd also believe the world was flat because no-one had proven otherwise.....

No?

Reply to
PeTe33

I understand how homeopathy doesn't work. If someone offers you cash to disprove their evidence that it does just take the cash its yours.

Its easy to see how it doesn't.. the whole oceans of the world are homeopathic cures for everything by now but the illnesses still exist.

Reply to
dennis