Downstairs loo

This old house I've just moved into has a downstairs loo/utility room right next to the kitchen. As if that wasn't enough, it's been fitted in such a way that when the upstairs loo is flushed, the water in the downstairs pan darkens and obnoxious appear.

The house currently has one bathroom but we're gong to fit a second, so the question is, fix the downstairs loo (how?) or rip it out?

Thanks

Reply to
Nicknoxx

|!This old house I've just moved into has a downstairs loo/utility room |!right next to the kitchen. As if that wasn't enough, it's been fitted in |!such a way that when the upstairs loo is flushed, the water in the |!downstairs pan darkens and obnoxious appear. |! |!The house currently has one bathroom but we're gong to fit a second, so |!the question is, fix the downstairs loo (how?) or rip it out?

Please describe the runs of the soil pipe from both loos to the sewer.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Standing facing the downstairs loo, the soil pipe from upstairs comes down in to corner of the room to your right. Just above ground level it makes a 90deg turn and runs along the wall from right to left. Half way along there is a 'swept tee' pointing out into the room horizontally. The downstairs loo is connected to this. Continuing leftwards the soil pipe turns downwards and disappears into the ground.

Reply to
Nicknoxx

Saniflo ?

Otherwise can you move the main soil pipe so as to traverse the room under the floor, and connect your downstairs WC via a swept T pointing upwards.

We did this just for the sake of eliminating some of the visible soil pipe work that SWMBO said was a nuisance to clean around.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is the soil pipework cast iron or plastic?

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

|!Dave Fawthrop wrote: |!> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:05:46 +0000, Nicknoxx wrote: |!> |!> |!This old house I've just moved into has a downstairs loo/utility room |!> |!right next to the kitchen. As if that wasn't enough, it's been fitted in |!> |!such a way that when the upstairs loo is flushed, the water in the |!> |!downstairs pan darkens and obnoxious appear. |!> |! |!> |!The house currently has one bathroom but we're gong to fit a second, so |!> |!the question is, fix the downstairs loo (how?) or rip it out? |!> |!> Please describe the runs of the soil pipe from both loos to the sewer. |! |!Standing facing the downstairs loo, the soil pipe from upstairs comes |!down in to corner of the room to your right. Just above ground level it |!makes a 90deg turn and runs along the wall from right to left. Half way |!along there is a 'swept tee' pointing out into the room horizontally. |!The downstairs loo is connected to this.

Does the sweeping of the tee point towards sewer for both toilets?

|!Continuing leftwards the soil pipe turns downwards and disappears into |!the ground.

Could you change the toilet pan so that it discharges into the top of the soil pipe?

Have you a partial blockage in the sewer?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

plastic - utility room floor is concrete

Reply to
Nicknoxx

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:27:35 +0000, Derek Geldard mused:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Best advised to avoid Saniflos if you want to _improve_ the current arrangement of useless soil pipery.

Find out whats going on with the existing stck, dig it up, redo it properly and stick a new branch in for the new bathroom while you're at it.

Reply to
Lurch

Just one more question. Does the soil pipe in upstairs loo carry on up to open vent?

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

dirgo valve

Reply to
Nicknoxx

If you can remove the air admittance valve then do so. If it is not removable then cut the pipe off making sure to leave enough pipe under the valve to fit a coupler for putting back together.

Flush the loo.

Same problem? Then you most likely have a restrction/blockage in the pipework after the downstairs loo.

Problem solved? probably sticky or undersized durgo.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Dave might have a point here but fitting a swept tee the wrong way round seems a very elementary mistake to make.

Surely only achieved by raising the floor the requisite height or lowering the run to the sewer which sounds next to impossible.

ISTM the obvious answer is that the sewer must be backing up in the vicinity of the downstairs loo but it just might be down to inappropriate pan design. If there is no backing up you should only get a discharge into the downstairs pan if the effluent level in the horizontal pipe is higher than the water level in the pan. I have 2 toilets and in one of them the water level is definitely higher than the top of the discharge pipe and in the other (newer) one it is just as definitely not. Not a problem for me as they both discharge into vertical stacks.

Reply to
Roger