Downpipe on a conservatory

It seems the people who installed my parents conservatory have affixed the downpipe from the gutter to it by means of a couple of really long screws. So basically, the screw passes straight through the pipe and into the conservatory frame.

Surely this is not the correct way of doing things?

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

In message , "Simon (Dark Angel)" writes

It's certainly ingenious!

It will probably work fine provided the screw holes each side of the pipe don't leak (too much), and the screw doesn't rust away. Both could be forestalled, if there is likely to be a problem in the future.

While it may seem a bit of a bodge/botch, is there any immediately obvious practical alternative? If there is not room for the normal downspout clip, I would have thought that a better solution would be to use something like a cable tie eyelet (screwed to the conservatory) and a cable tie around the pipe - well, maybe not exactly those, but something similar, but made for the job (a strap?). I'm sure something is available.

Ian Jackson

Will the water not drip through into the steel frame within the conservatory and cause it to rust though?

Good idea, I'll look into it.

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Its a bodge! First leaf to get down there will start a gradual blockage.

Get them back in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman