Downlight Installation Access

Hi

Can any tell me how, on a new build house, can I get access to th ground floor ceilling from the first floor(bedroom) without lifting of the large chipboard bedroom floor?

I here the best method is to route a large diameter(10in) to ge access, but then buy specially made caps to fill the hole in th chipboard. Does anyone know what termonology is used to describe thi cap and where I can get them from.

Thank You

-- Kal

Reply to
Kal

This is the cutting tool:

or
you need pilot drills etc also (as detailed on the above listing)

These are the plugs:

or
*Arguably* the best method, yes, but it's not cheapest! I'd look at lifting boards if I were you.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can't lift the boards, (if anything like my house) they are 8'x4', all tightly interlocked and the upstairs walls are built on top.

I have sawn some access hatches using a circular saw with the depth set very very carefully. If you cut 2 of the sides on top of a joist, you can just drop the sawn out piece back in and screw it down.

Beware of central heating pipes resting against the underside of the floor!!

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I think the OP was talking about something like the routabout:

bit of shopping around can usually find a good deal on the insert rings.

Reply to
John Rumm