down lighter how to wire in

I have searched the forum but cant seem to get an any anvice on how t

wire them. Ok so im a bit new to DIY but I am keen. So set of 5 down lighter wired in By . Removed ceiling rose replaced with junction box then gone from ligh to light "daisy chain" I belive. . Using 16amp conectors think they are called chop blocks wraped the in insulating tape. Tied the earth have not run the earth from light to light as no way o doing this and also the instructions on the lights said no need. . someone told me that you have to use junction boxs for each an every conection ? Is this nesicary? The circuit is far from over loaded

-- bwell

Reply to
bwell

okay (I think)

Are these mains downlighters or a transformer set?

choc blocks should not need wrapping in insulating tape but they MUST be used within a non-combustible enclosure eg a junction box. Insulation tape is not an acceptable substitute.

You MUST continue the earth to all lights you have fitted as well as to existing lights further down the circuit. Even if the lights are 'double insulated' the earth (circuit protective conductor) in the cable MUST be connected.

Yes.

How have you calculated that?

Have you fitted fire hoods over the downlighters?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You can get little plastic boxes to clip contain choc blocks:

Neater, but a basic junction box is cheaper.

For 12V downlighters?

Reply to
chris French

and non-combustable. I have used a number of these plastic boxes (think I got them from B&Q or CPC), but only for 12V signal wiring. I would not use them for permanent mains wiring.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Would 12V downlighters be marked as double insulated? Anyway, the 12V wiring to them wouldn't be part of the mains circuit, no not a cpc, is my understanding.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:55:00 +0100 someone who may be bwell wrote this:-

Really.

Mains or a lower voltage?

?

Is this mounted above the ceiling?

In the UK it is called a radial circuit.

What sort of cable have you used for this?

Assuming they are mains, remove them and replace with junction boxes.

To what?

It can (and should) be run between the junction boxes.

I would listen to them. They probably know more than you do.

How have you worked this out? From your posting it seems that you don't have enough knowledge to decide this.

Reply to
David Hansen

If you mean uk.diy, then its a newsgroup, not a forum.

Reply to
gort

David you are clearly a troubled man imagine spending your time comin to a D.I.Y furom and haveing such an atitude everyone else seemed happy to help . You on the other hand seem to think that to have an attiude is the wa to go . You are claearly a very sad looser in deed. DONT chat on my thread again sad man go away. Find a forum called Get David to do it. other than do it your self.

Any way thanks for the advice from everyone else Im going to run through junction boxs and run the earth from box t box. One other question ?? The ceiling rose had only two wires going into it one for the switc and one live cable is this normal ? is this because its the last in the chain

-- bwell

Reply to
bwell

You mean two cables, 4 wires + earths?

Yes, although lights don't have to be wired as a chain, they can be teed off, so you may have more than one "ends".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:41:33 +0100 someone who may be bwell wrote this:-

Yawn. Personal attacks as well as bad spelling.

I note that you were unwilling or unable to answer any of the questions I asked.

Reply to
David Hansen