Dowelling jig and pocket hole jig

Hello,

I was thinking of building a cupboard and was wondering how to hold the corners together.

I have seen two dowelling jigs. I've only seen the photos, not the real thing:

clarke one is metal so looks like it should last. The toolstation one is plastic and I worry it won't. Has anyone used either of these or could you suggest something better?

I also spotted this:

looks like it is metal. Has anyone tried that? Is it easy to use?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

> Which looks like it is metal. Has anyone tried that? Is it easy to > use?

Just a suggestion - if you're looking at woodworking tools you'll be much better served by Rutlands (

) and Axminster (
) than MachineMart and Toolstation.

Reply to
pcb1962

If you decide to buy from Rutlands their sale is just coming to a close but if you enter 747 at the checkout you get 15% of and free delivery.

I've just ordered their adjustable pocket hole jig for a job but it still has to arrive. Don't forget if you get the toolstaion pocket jig, you still need the special drill, depth stop and special screws (different types for hard and softwood) The joints take careful clamping before screwing to get right but when they are done properly, they work well. The pros have mainly gone over to Festool dominos for which you need very deep pockets and regular use to justify the prices.

Eg

Bob Minchin

I've got jigs and tools for dowels, biscuits and pocket hole. I use the biscuit jointer.

Biscuits are quickest and easiest. They only align in one axis, so they only have to be aligned in one axis. This makes them _far_ easier to install quickly, with fewer mistakes. Dowels are OK, but they're much slower, even with a jig. Pocket holes are a pain, unless you have a jig with good clamping - they also take up a lot of space and need to have their heads hidden.

I use the pocket hole jig occasionally, where I'm working on thin frames, or especially for repairing chairs. Can't remember my last dowel (probably a chair though).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

this:

> Which looks like it is metal. Has anyone tried that? Is it easy to > use?

I've got one, and it is pretty useless. It's okay for very rough work, but not for neat accurate work. I changed to using a Kreg R3 in the end (from Axminster Tools), which gives very neat strong joints, and is fast to use.

dan.

Reply to
dent

Kreg K3 Junior. Pocket hole jig. About =A335 on Ebay, probably Amazon, probably everywhere except the current universe as most people have never heard of them. They are very good, produce strong joints, you must observe fine/coarse re hard/ softwood + use appropriate screw length + clamp pieces when driving because obviously one will want to shift fractionally as the angled pocket hole screw tightens.

Joint Genie. The only decent practical priced dowel joint tool. Reliable joints, but frankly it needs to be priced at =A318-20.

The Kreg tool is more useful, much faster, more precise IF you clamp properly to avoid the screw on tightening moving the joint (very easy to avoid, it just bites you if you get sloppy, same with screwing crudely mitred window frames). Dowel jointing is good for a few positioning pegs.

Biscuit jointing has its place too, but Kreg is good for fast DIY and production work which is of acceptable quality, fit n finish. A lot of commercial stuff is put together with a pocket hole system, beware Kreg is a Canadian square-drive AND you need clearance for the driver. The Kreg drill bits are pricey (=A311?) but exceptionally sharp, more like Dormer in quality.

Reply to
js.b1