Doughnut between toilet bowl and cistern

I need to replace this seal (I have bought one).

I presume I will need to totally empty the cistern (or will I?)

If there is a bit of free movement on the pipes will I get away with trying to slide the doughnut in through the gap - or is there a spigot that it needs to engage onto?

John

Reply to
John

best to empty the cistern & remove it. Might check the ruber washer between the bottom of the syphon and the cistern while you're at it: if it leaves a black mark on your finger when you rub it it's not long for this world. If the cistern & syphon are old the syphon membrane (like thick polythene) which lifts the water when you work the handle may also be ready to split so there's a case for replacing that too (or just replace the whole syphon valve - they're only about £3 from Screwstation etc, or about double that in the sheds).

Reply to
John Stumbles

When my syphon membrane failed recently I took the opportunity to completely replace the syphon with one of these 'flip-flop' valves. The flush handle is replaced with a button and the button operates a lever that simply lifts a hinged 'lid' over the flush pipe. The kit (from B&Q) came complete with new ball valve mechanism - which of course is no longer a ball valve! The new device works perfectly - the flush is better and the cistern re-fill is almost silent because it refills from the bottom (underwater!). Highly recommended.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I tried one of these, but the pushbutton unit was so close to the top of the cistern that the lid, which has a flange which fits into the cistern, fouled on it. Best check that one of these will fit your cistern first.

Reply to
Jim Hatfield