Double your house...

Watching this week's episode, I was struck by what seemed to be strange timing for a re-staged discussion.

At the Wembley house, the original plan was to remove several internal walls, with Sarah cautioning that this would make the steels very expensive, and suggesting that one of the walls should be left in place.

Later, we are shown steels being inserted. The erection gang appearing to have gone, the owners then stand by the contentious wall, which is perpendicular to the mid point of the longest steel.

By this time the end of the wall looks like it has freshly mortared bricks, as if it had been neatened off after being chopped back.

The discussion then (surprise!) leads to the decision not to drop the wall.

Up to that point, if we are to believe the narrative as shown, the long steel would have already been sized for the extra load, and the only saving would have been the shorter one to bolt onto it.

Why is it so imperative that we have to have everything forced into a narrative arc?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It is because the producers are none technical and think they can get more viewers by making the programme into a rats arse.

Reply to
harry

And for a prime example of bad camera-work a piece to camera by Martin Lewis and Saira Khan on ITV last night, about 7.26pm, the camera was jerking in and out of zoom as though the cameraman was having a rather nasty seizure.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

edit: about 7.56. I wasn't watching it before everyone else.

Reply to
Owain

Because these programmes aren't seen by their makers as documentaries but as dramas.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Seems that most programmes are like that now even the local news, Other night on the Meridian news there was a piece on commuters having to stand for a fair distance on their journey,plastered across a photo was the tag line Rail Rage. They then went on to interview a couple, were these people smashing windows,screaming hysterically ,fighting,duffing up staff? No ,they were just stood there not particularly happy or comfortable and most just moaned about the fares but more less accepted the situation. Non looked in a rage to me. just part of the modern phenomenon that seems to exaggerate everything .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I started to watch that and lasted about 10 minutes - Ant 'n' Dec on drugs! It's a pity that Martin has been dragged down to that level; the only 'pleasure' in that short time was Saira ;-)

Reply to
PeterC

All part of the dumbing down process. Anybody that can think is considered dangerous. They want you to sit on your arse and watch shit TV

Reply to
harry

Everything? Really? ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

seems to ,not does ;)

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

+1!!! (For years, now)

I feel I'm probably being deprived of a lot of useful and/or interesting stuff, but I'm not prepared to pay the price.

My wife has the best idea: she records almost everything she watches (and she watches *a lot*) on the PVR. She then "distills" all the programmes when she watches them. She [even] [or especially?] does this for Strictly Come Dancing.

Me -- these days I watch MOTD (which one has to watch, despite the now-embarrassingly dated format with its wooden-top pundits), and -- much more enthusiastically -- MOTD2 which is a brilliant programme, thanks to the scintillating Colin Murray.

Any other telly: no matter how good it looks, I feel I'm wasting my life. It's a 60s thing I think.

J.

Reply to
Another John

That's what we do. Hardly watch any telly live.

Reply to
Huge

So do I (except for Strictly which I religiously assign to the trash folder without watching).

I'm finding that home makeover type programs are the ones that I fast forward through the greatest percentage of content (more than 50% in some cases)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

My wife and I do that too. The only problem is, she only wants to see the start and the end, whereas I want to see a few other bits in between (i.e. the real building stuff). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On that; I learned much more from watching Holy Bob Vila and the early satellite series more than a decade ago. There's not been much to glean from the home-grown series in comparison.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon