Double/Triple outlet shaver sockets

Under the 16th edition there was a mention that sockets should not be placed where portable appliances could be plugged in and used in the bathroom - that included airing cupboards and just outside the bathroom door.

Reply to
ARW

Great! If you take extension leads into account, you shouldn't have a socket *anywhere*!

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is more to it than just extension leads.

Take a rented house where the landlord does not give a toss and the tenants are living below the poverty line. Will the tenants try to use an electric heater (or indeed a hair dryer) to warm the bathroom when the boiler is broken and it is minus 12 outside.

I have spent a lot of time working in slum housing and these are often the most dangerous houses where electics are concerned.

Reply to
ARW

Well yes - but how does the proximity of a socket influence this, as they'd simply use an extension if needed. Adding to the risks. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The nearest socket to my bathroom is a few metres from the door. Fortunately the vacuum cleaner has a long lead. Wait, the regs don't want to let me vacuum the floor?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I believe that it was more to do with appliances such as electric heater, hair dryiers radios etc. Basically stuff that might be but should not be used whilst you are in the bath:-)

Reply to
ARW

So theyre ok with people vacuuming while in the bath? :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reminds me of the when the gf's lad wanted to help me clean up after fitting an extractor fan(he was about 6 years old at the time). I had a Henry and I left him in the bathroom vacuuming up brick dust whilst went for a cig.

When I went back inside the water in the toilet bowl was missing and the Henry was making a funny noise.

Reply to
ARW

You mean most dangerous *before* you worked on them, right? ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Adam Funk

As our landing is at no point more than 3'6" from our bathroom door that'd mean no socket there for plugging in the vac for doing the stairs.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

For safety, the vacuum cleaner [1] should be at the bottom of the stairs, and you have a long hose to do the steps. Pulling a cleaner down the stairs can be very damaging to walls and persons. And vacuum cleaners.

[1] Assuming not a tiny handheld device.
Reply to
polygonum

Eek. I had one lad in his 20s that decided to wash an electrical appliance in the sink :/ I cant help thinking schools have lost the plot these days.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

At BBC tv Centre, in the 1960s, all Tektronics 'scopes that went in for maintainence got washed. the secret was in the drying - as many imitators found to their cost.

Reply to
charles

Isn't a lot of the problem there *enforcement* of the building regulations rather than just the content of them? (I mean that slumlords are less likely than other people to care about doing things right.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I have in the past disconnected dangerous circuits, given the landlord a reason why I have done that (backed up in writing) and left their property in a safe state.

A few bad landlord will spoil it for the good ones and there will soon be the same laws with electrics as there are with gas - and I am not one that believes that a rented house needs an EICR every 12 months.

Reply to
ARW

You're a good man, doing the right thing & possibly losing repeat business.

I agree.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Vac sits at bottom when doing the bottom half and on the half-landing when doing the top half and the top landing and then is moved onto the top landing to do the bathroom and bedrooms.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

As long as it's an aqua-vac ;)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I normally put the vacuum cleaner on the ground floor to vacuum up the stairs to the 1st floor, but I put it on the 1st floor landing to vacuum up the stairs to the 2nd. And I use a socket that is (just) close enough to let me vacuum the bathroom floor too.

But I don't vacuum the bath itself.

Reply to
Adam Funk