double switch for outside lights

I am about to add 2 outside wall lights. From inside the house it It will not be obvious if it has been forgotten to switch off either. Thus am looking for suitable double switch (preferably standard white) with a worry factor built in such as a neon reminder.

Nearest I can find is two separate square switches with neon, (double pole type intended for flex outlets) which would have to be mounted side by side on a dual backing box.

Not very neat & switch rating is OTT. Any better suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
jim

A simple neon indicator lamp could be connected in series with the lamps. Something as simple as this item from Maplin

allow internal indication that the lights are on.

The one shown can be fitted to a standard light switch by drilling a hole above or below the internal switch gear. You would need a deeper back box to allow the indicator to fit inside, but it is easier than buying two separate Double Pole Switches for something as standard as a couple of outside light fittings.

Shop around on the web to find out if you can find smaller versions of the indicator lamp, but make sure you check that they are rated for mains voltages (220 - 240 Vac).

Ideally the indicator would be connected to the switched live side of the switches and a neutral, but it can also be connected across the switch live feeds on a single pole system and it will still glow when either light is switched on.

Reply to
BigWallop

would allow internal indication that the lights are on.

There are more here

BigWallop

You could drill and fit LED indicators to a standard 2 gang switch. For AC use you fit a diode in parallel with the LED, but reverse polarity. And the usual current limiting series resistor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

best option

parallel tho

would allow internal indication that the lights are on.

You could, but it then would be off when both lights were on. I've seen neons connected switched live to earth before - somehow I doubt its regs compliant these days, if it ever was.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OOPs !!! Series is a serious mistook. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I was thinking of just a glow if one light was left on. Connected across the live feeds to both switches on the 2 gang. If either switch goes on and the indicator finds a path to neutral, it glows and indicates that one light has been left on.

Reply to
BigWallop

jim coughed up some electrons that declared:

Still going to be a double box - but how about a 4 module gridswitch, two light switch modules and two indicator modules (all available even at B&Q)?

Other than that, I think it will have to be a homebrew effort as suggested by others.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:23:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be jim wrote this:-

Use grid components (Crabtree and MK have ranges) to make precisely the switch you want.

Reply to
David Hansen

the simplest way would be to wire a neon across the switch,it will light when the lights are off and go off if the lights are on

Reply to
Kevin

How do most people work out if the lights in the house are on or off?

1) look at the light fitting - if it's bright the light is on 2) or if the lamp has blown or is out of sight you look at the light switch and see if it's in the up position

Can't you just look at the switch?

Reply to
Mike

What if it's two (or more) way switching?

Reply to
Andy Burns

^^^^^^ ????

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:23:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be jim wrote this:-

Yes I know the description and photograph of the last item don't agree. Use your ingenuity to find the right one.

They or MK may do switches with built in neons, which would mean only using a single width box and face plate.

Reply to
David Hansen

Anyway, the switch being 'on' doesn't demonstrate that the light is on. Lamp failure? Circuit protection 'off'?

Obviously need a CCTV system... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Two or more should be wired so that all up = off IMO

Reply to
Tony Bryer

thats ok if you can see both, not much use if ones in the garage and the other is in the house

Reply to
Kevin

Two way switching on outside lights???? For what reason?

A workable solution is to have a photocell feeding into a telemetry system signalling via GSM or sat-phone back to a console in the bat cave...or just have the butler go and check the light for you.

Reply to
Mike

So you can switch them on when you come home in the dark fumbling for your keys, and switch them off again once you are indoors.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

just curious that would seem the ideal case for a PIR light

Reply to
Kevin