double socket change to single socket plus spur for disposal unit

Beside my sink there is a double socket. I am planning fitting a waste disposal unit and will need a spur to power the disposal unit. Both existing sockets are hardly ever both used at the same time, is there a single plate I can mount with a socket and a switch for the spur? Link? thank you

Reply to
misterroy

At one time you could by 3 gang grid switches on a 2 gang plate. So you could assemble a switch, fuse and neon. Dunno if anyone still makes them in this size, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

disposal unit and will need a spur to power the disposal unit.

single plate I can mount with a socket and a switch for the spur? Link?

You can do it using the Click New Media Minigrid system:

You'd fit a double size modular plate with a single socket and an FCU module. A

Reply to
andrew

How about a cooker switch/socket:

And then fit a spur or socket under the worktop.

Reply to
John

thanks all, all the cooker sockets I looked at said cooker. Looks like John's link is the one.

Reply to
misterroy

Why not just leave the socket as it is and fit a single socket in the cupboard with the waste disposal unit?

Reply to
ARW

Waste disposal unit? We call them "bins" around here. :)

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Do you not mean fortnightly collections bins and no open recycling sites?

And FFS do check you email bin. I can show you around a nice building site (you lost the last email into another folder)

Reply to
ARW

The slight difficulty is the back box for a double is slightly narrower than that required for two singles. So you would need to dig out the current box and make the gape a bit wider to fit a dual single box (looks a bit like a double, but has a division in the middle and extra screw holes for the inner edges of the singles.

Reply to
John Rumm

summer is nearly here and the flies and then the maggots will find their way into the wheely bin, and after a fortnight it is not good. If I fit a single socket should I take it as a spur from the double one?

Reply to
misterroy

On Sunday 23 June 2013 08:44 misterroy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes. And...??

You may take a spur from any accessory (socket, sing or double or fused- spur) that is on the ring and *does not already provide a spur, fused flex outlets excepted).

So yes, you can take from a single socket or a double.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Assuming it is itself not already a spur from a ring, then yes.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sunday 23 June 2013 12:21 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh - and watch out for it being a spur that's already spurred from (wrongly) (so it looks like it's part of the ring but isn't) - meant to say that earlier...

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , misterroy escribió:

Why bother? Put a plug on the waste disposal unit. It'll probably already come fitted with a plug.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jasper.org.uk:

Well I wouldn't want a plug near the sink. I would prefer it to be hard wired with no flex visible.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

En el artículo , DerbyBorn escribió:

So you know better than the manufacturers, who supply them with a moulded plug fitted?

Hint #1: the plug is *under* the sink. Why do you think the regs forbid sockets near sinks (meaning above the worktop surface)?

Hint #2: portable appliances vs. fixed appliances.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

They don't.

300mm from the sink is a recommended minimum, from (one source), the IET Electricians guide to the Building Regs. The Wiring Regs go into detail about suitability for the environment it is installed in,but give no defined answer. Every installation is different,so a case may be made to put a socket outlet right next to a kitchen sink, and it will comply if you show that its use will not cause a danger to the User.
Reply to
A.Lee

I had this conversation with my Assessor. If there is a non-fused spur from a ring final circuit to a double socket outlet, then, you can add an extra socket outlet to that spur, if you can show that the extra load is unlikely to cause an overload of the cable(s). A domestic waste disposal unit is very unlikely to cause an overload, as it runs at a low wattage, as well as being used only very sporadically. Being as such a socket outlet would be in the back of a kitchen unit,it is also unlikely to be used for any other general use, so is safe to be wired that way.

Reply to
A.Lee

On Sunday 23 June 2013 17:36 A.Lee wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Have to admit that's new to me. I see a potential problem that even if the current householder understands the limitation, a future one may not.

I'm not sure I follow why "double" seems to be preferred as it could draw (legitimately) 20A before adding the load of the final spur. Daisy chain spurring via a single would make more sense surely?

OTOH if you join the spur to the ring via a 13A fused unit, AFAIK there is no limit to the amount of daisy chaining you can do afterwards (one of the guides - can't remember of it was John Whitfield or the On Site - have to check).

That is very true of course.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The flex supplied on the disposal unit is short, to short to reach the sock et, but if I lengthened it there is a double socket behind the fridge, I wo uld need to change this double to a treble for the dishwasher, fridge and t he disposal unit. Would that work? It would be the easiest solution.

Reply to
misterroy