Double radiator

My front room is served by just a small double radiator. In my garage I have a Single Radiator which is twice as long as my existing double rad. Would I benefit by putting the long single rad in its place?

Reply to
cj

Measure the rads and look up the outputs on one the radiator maufacture sites. Such as:

I suspect the outputs will not be much different. Robert

Reply to
robert

On 12 Feb 2007 06:51:17 -0800 someone who may be "cj" wrote this:-

Presumably you are feeling the cold.

Before increasing heat output look at keeping the heat inside. How draughty is the room? Are the walls/loft/floor insulated?

Reply to
David Hansen

into the living room. I have made the door as draft free as possible but I think the problem is that the rad is right by the door. Is this the best place for it?

Reply to
cj

On 12 Feb 2007 08:25:43 -0800 someone who may be "cj" wrote this:-

Depends on the circumstances. Often it is.

Reply to
David Hansen

A lot depends on the construction of the radiators. Does either have fins, because this makes a large difference to the heat output?

If they are of same construction as each other (both un-finned or single one finned and double one double-finned) the single will probably have

*slightly* more output than the double, but not all that much.

As others have said, look first at improving the insulation. Then calculate the heat losses to see what size of radiator you *need* rather than just using something you happen to have. Then make sure that the pipework is of sufficient capacity to support the new radiator, and that the boiler can support the whole house heating load.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Put a thermal door curtain on a Portiere rod.

Reply to
zaax

You may be better spreading the heating around the room, especially having some near where you sit.

I like having plenty of surpus heating capacity in a sitting room, heats up quickly when you come in or the frontdoor gets opened and its surprising how you notice the cold when sitting still. Robert

Reply to
robert