Double insulation question

I just picked up a second hand Belle mixer and was a bit surprised to find it has a two core cable. Is this right?

(I've put my Whitfields and the On Site Guide somewhere safe, so of course I can't find them to look up the rules.)

Reply to
Newshound

Well is the casing metal or plastic? ( for those of use who have put our crystal balls in a safe place). Does it have a symbol consisting of, a square within a square, anywhere on the rating label?

Dave

Reply to
gort

The square-in-a-square symbol is the thing to look for. It is quite possible to have external metalwork, even the entire case made of metal and the device to still be a Class II - consider the many examples of electric lawnmowers with a 2-wire flex and a metal body.

How old is this thing? It is also perfectly possible to go the other way. I acquired a Yamaha synthesiser on Freecycle - it is 80's vintage. It has a 2 wire flex, mostly metal case and upon inspection, conformance to being "double insulated" is shakey IMO.. Technically, it may do as there is both primary insulation (not reinforced) and air gaps between the mains bits and the case - but it's not something I've vastly impressed with, so it's going to get a CPC added.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Sorry; the electrics is in a plastic casing (IP 45), but there's a metal gearbox coming out of it, bolted to an otherwise all steel structure. However there is a square within a square, which is the symbol I couldn't remember, until you reminded me. Thanks!

Reply to
Newshound

Newshound explained on 14/01/2007 :

The gearbox will be insulated from the motor by typically a plastic drive for insulation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the reassurance. It looked like the original cable, but lacks a moulded plug. It's on an RCD circuit of course but better safe than sorry!

Reply to
Newshound